This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
airport passenger 2019 numbers

Airport Passenger Numbers in 2019
I know 3/4 business owners in Caleta, one is actually a neighbour, and the consensus seems to be May is always a quiet month, but it should have picked up by now and hasn,t.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
A 10% drop in flights is going to have a massive difference to numbers. The numbers totals for this year are not looking good at all. Hopefully this is just a blip & doesn’t turn into a snowball effect ☹️☹️
Just tell me when I can retire   Cool
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
We will have to compare to the other Islands year to date.

Some people are indicating it is to do with flight cost increases, I can't think that the airlines have singled out FUE for increases and not the other islands if they have increases in flights and numbers.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
[+] 3 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
(13-06-2019, 09:48 AM)windermeregolfer Wrote: We will have to compare to the other Islands year to date.

Some people are indicating it is to do with flight cost increases, I can't think that the airlines have singled out FUE for increases and not the other islands if they have increases in flights and numbers.

Hi John,
I believe that the other islands have shown increases in numbers. Digging in my memory, I seem to remember someone (possibly Stephen) saying that. 
The drop in numbers of tourists on the ground on a rolling basis is a worry for the viability of Fuerte businesses but what is more worrying to me is the airlines picking up on this if it an ongoing thing. Easy enough for them to start changing some routes to more profitable areas. For us up in Scotland we only have Ryanair & Jet 2 as it is plus Thomas Cook which is never really an option 🙁🙁
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
We were in Caleta for the two weeks 21 May to June 4th. I must say things were quite and air traffic was noticeably less than usual.Also a number of the local businesses were closed for holidays. However as the June weekend approached things seemed to pick up again.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
I've translated this from the local press yesterday -

The May statistics confirm the decline of international visitors to the island, with the arrival of 137,053 passengers (18 percent less than in the same month of 2018.) The German market, which brings the most visitors to Fuerteventura , suffered especially, with a 25% drop (47,328 arrived). The British market, the second in importance on the Island, which resists, brought in 52,229 passengers, which is 8% less than May 2018. The number of French visitors dropped by more than 33%.
Between January and May 2019 there has been a drop of 12.29% of tourists from other countries (a total of 114,196 people). Germany has registered a 20% decrease and Italy 23% in these months, with the United Kingdom tourists, decreasing by 2.26%.
The good news, for the main economic sector of the island, is that passengers from the Peninsula and the Canary Islands increased in May by 9.63%. Inter-island tourism grew 2.07% while tourism from the peninsular increased dramatically, by 23.53%, standing at 26,668 travellers.
By provinces, Madrid provided the most passengers, with 12,783; followed by Barcelona (6.415), Seville (2.867), Bilbao (1.736), Malaga (1.291), Santiago de Compostela (1.228) and Valencia (348).
So, there has been an increase in arrivals from the Peninsula of almost 20% between January and May, compared to the same period in 2018 (119,860). The number of passengers, from the other islands,  also increased by 4% (182,746).
The manager of the Tourist Board, Moisés Jorge, has identified several reasons for the drop in tourist numbers: -The loss of flights due to the bankruptcies of several companies; the reduction of frequencies in some of them due to the flight ban of Boeing 737 Max aircraft throughout Europe; good Weather in Central Europe, which do not encourage sales; and the presence in the international market of our Mediterranean competitors which are much cheaper than us. These have caused this drop in international arrivals, mainly from Germany and the United Kingdom.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Stephen,
Those figures don’t seem to match the ones in your previous post (#17) saying approx 412000 visitors. Taking your figures for May from International & Peninsula (Spanish & inter island) of 137000 + 26500 gives approx 164000 & doubling to give in & out still only gives approx 320000. Am I doing something wrong with these figures 🤔🤔🤔
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
457,076 passengers passed through the airport in June 2019 which is a 6.5% drop compared to June 2018.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
504,911 passengers(Arrivals & Departures) passed through the airport in July 2019.  That is a 9.5% decrease compared to July last year.

3,247,040 people have passed through the airport between Jan-Jul 2019, which is an 8% decrease compared to the same period last year.
[+] 7 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Six people arrested at Fuerteventura airport Sam 22 2,245 01-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Sam
  400 kilos of cocaine on a plane at Fuerteventura airport Captain Sensible 23 2,117 24-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Johnrgby
  Tourist information point at FUE airport Sam 0 321 11-04-2019, 02:56 PM
  Possible strike at FUE Airport Sam 13 1,678 19-02-2019, 11:43 AM
  Airport chargers bookman451 1 351 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM