This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
colour registration plates

Colour of registration plates
Hi,

I've noticed that vehicle registration plates have different colours. I've worked out what a few of them indicate,  but there are some I haven't yet sussed. 

White background: the usual colour for most private vehicles. 
Blue background: vehicles registered for the carriage of passengers,  ie buses or taxis.
Red background: a vehicle that needs to be towed, that is not self propelled such as a trailer or caravan. 
Green background: dont know, could be an imported car. 
Orange background: dont know,  could be a red that had faded!

Anyone provide any further information?

Tom.
2 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
(02-04-2020, 08:41 PM)Cotillo_Tom Wrote: Hi,

I've noticed that vehicle registration plates have different colours. I've worked out what a few of them indicate,  but there are some I haven't yet sussed. 

White background: the usual colour for most private vehicles. 
Blue background: vehicles registered for the carriage of passengers,  ie buses or taxis.
Red background: a vehicle that needs to be towed, that is not self propelled such as a trailer or caravan. 
Green background: dont know, could be an imported car. 
Orange background: dont know,  could be a red that had faded!

Anyone provide any further information?

Tom.

Hi Tom, yes, the green plates signify an imported car awaiting Spanish registration, they're only valid for six months. I've never seen orange plates.
2 users say Thank You to milestone11 for this post
Reply Quote
I just need to be more observant... hadn't even registered the colour difference !
Life is short.....Be kind to one another  Smile
2 users say Thank You to classic for this post
Reply Quote
I don't remember seeing any orange plates but I have seen yellow ones. A moped near us has them and I'm pretty sure that a guy in the village with a mobility vehicle (the ones that drive about as fast as a sewing machine!) has yellow background plates. Perhaps it's for very low cc vehicles?

Just had a thought, I'll check my buggy in the morning!!  Big Grin
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Threre's more than just a different background. The colour of the characters does change too.

Black on yellow background - Mopeds and microcars (low cc)

Red on white background - Agricultural
Black on white background - Historical or Tourist plates

White on green background - Provisional (imported car)

Black on red background - Trailers
White on red background - Temporary plates or Vehicle dealers

White on blue background - Taxi vehicles

Tom, never came across an orange Spanish numberplate. Could it be the aforementioned yellow background or (diplomatic?) plate of other country?

Serious question: Is it just me or the taxi (white on blue) are next to impossible to read?
I Heart Fuerteventura
5 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone, especially Sam for his definitive description. The more I think about it the more I think what I thought was orange was probably a very faded red. 

Yes, I agreed about the taxi plates, difficult to read the plate. Perhaps deliberate to avoid speeding fines as the ones I use (very infrequently) appear to be driven by retired Formula One drivers!!! 

My last journey from Corralejo back to Cotillo was completed in 12 and a half minutes as we clung on fir grim death in the back!!

Tom.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote