This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
european health card insurance

European Health Insurance Card
Last year I needed some antibiotics for a post op infection. Visited Centro Salud in Corralejo. Produced Passport and EHIC Card. 

Was seen by a doctor who was more interested in getting copies of passport and card, but gave me two prescriptions - if the first one doesn't solve the problem in seven days, use the other prescription!

So, not just for hospital visits. 

Tom.
50/50 Birmingham/El Cotillo. Cool
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
If you need healthcare while here and have an EHIC just go to an Urgencias. Be prepared that they quite likely won't speak English, why should they, so prepare a translation or get ready for Charades! In Corralejo at the Centro del Salud Urgencias you tend to get seen in the order that you have arrived. In Puerto del Rosario at the hospital Urgencias you get assessed in Triage and then seen according to priority - be prepared that you may wait quite a long time as a non-emergency.

Take your Passport as well as your EHIC card.

If you decide to go private instead be aware that you probably have an excess on your travel insurance so very often it won't be worth claiming.

Hope you get sorted ok whichever route you choose.
Living my dream
[+] 3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks folks! Don't need anything today (that I am aware of) but trying to nail down the procedure for any future problems so that if something goes wrong we already know what to do and don't have to try to find out what to do as well as getting it done. 

Thanks again for all the intel.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
(28-10-2019, 05:30 PM)Can the Man Wrote:
(28-10-2019, 05:10 PM)Ducks Wrote: What happens if you have a non-emergency issue that wouldn't require a trip to A&E (flu, chest/ear infection etc.) and are staying too long to wait to go home, but not long enough to be resident? Pay to see a doc privately, I suppose?

Yep, that’s the way the system works Ducks the European health card is for hospital visits only as far as I am aware

No, that's not right. The EHIC is for immediately necessary treatment, the need for which cannot be put off until you return and this includes exacerbation or management of pre-existing health conditions, which don't necessarily merit hospital attendance. (State/Health Service) GPs should accept the EHIC.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Robbo for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health care insurance company recommendation tigga1958 2 766 08-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Last Post: poppi123
  Health Insurance Cotillo_Tom 13 1,605 11-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Sam