No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
licence spanish exchange uk driving

Exchange from UK to Spanish driving licence
(30-10-2019, 12:42 PM)Johnrgby Wrote: Afternoon people 

Two questions, I have passed the medical and have an appointment with Traffico at the end of November, I was chatting to a neigbour last night who has been here for 12 years+, and has never changed his licence, and is not going to when he was back in the UK in August he got himself and his wife IPP,s, and intends to use them post Brexit, now come next April I will have held a full UK licence for 56 years and am more than a little loath to give it up and am thinking along the same lines. Thoughts or observations, please...

If you are a resident in Spain, you should register (not exchange) your driving licence. You will be forced to exchange it after 2 years living in Spain, in compliance with European Laws. Also, once you become a resident in Spain (after 2 years), you are not allowed to drive with an IDP in Spain.

I guess it's down to your "risk assessment". Just consider the "worst case scenario" (not likely to happen) in both cases and decide what outcome you can live with.

Hope the reply to your second question will be more helpful.

(30-10-2019, 12:42 PM)Johnrgby Wrote: ... Secondly, someone posted trafico,s website where you can make appointments online, I think it was Tamara, but I cannot find it and need to change the address of my car so can someone point me in the right direction?

Dirección General de Tráfico

The Trafico office is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Except: December 24th and 31st.

Also no driving tests on the following dates: February 13th, May 30th, September 14th and October 8th.

To book an appointment online simply click here, choose "Las Palmas - Fuerteventura", reason* and fill the form.

Address:  Calle los Hormigas 1, 35600, Puerto del Rosario

Phone: 928 539 908 - General information: 060

Fax: 928 539 963

email: oltf@dgt.es

I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(08-10-2019, 10:41 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: Well, things are getting serious, it seems! The ‘Reino Unido’ option has been removed from the normal licence exchange process as of today...

Just checked and Reino Unido is still missing from the options. I would simply choose another country and explain once I get the appointment. Huh Wink
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Forgive me if I’m repeating previous info, but from a quick look I don’t think so....just want to share latest info. The ‘Reino Unido’ option was removed from the system for exchanging licences a couple of weeks ago, because of the threat of a no-deal Brexit and the subsequent possibility that the relationship with the DVLA for checks would be compromised. Spain instead set up a special protocol for UK licence holder wishing to exchange. They fill in an online form and present it, together with docs, at Tráfico to be placed on a register. All of those on that register would then be able to go forward with their exchange under the existing terms. The deadline for registering was 31 October 2019. With the new extension to Brexit, DGT/Tráfico have announced a corresponding extension of the deadline for registration to 31 January. Details of the special protocol available on the DGT website. Currently, this is the only avenue open to UK licence holders. Of course, if we leave with a deal it will probably change.....maybe!
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:17 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: Forgive me if I’m repeating previous info, but from a quick look I don’t think so....just want to share latest info. The ‘Reino Unido’ option was removed from the system for exchanging licences a couple of weeks ago, because of the threat of a no-deal Brexit and the subsequent possibility that the relationship with the DVLA for checks would be compromised. Spain instead set up a special protocol for UK licence holder wishing to exchange. They fill in an online form and present it, together with docs, at Tráfico to be placed on a register. All of those on that register would then be able to go forward with their exchange under the existing terms. The deadline for registering was 31 October 2019. With the new extension to Brexit, DGT/Tráfico have announced a corresponding extension of the deadline for registration to 31 January. Details of the special protocol available on the DGT website. Currently, this is the only avenue open to UK licence holders. Of course, if we leave with a deal it will probably change.....maybe!

Sorry, for clarity, by ‘online form’ I mean the form can be found online, printed off, and taken to Tráfico once completed. Online submission may be possible with digital keys etc, but hard copy may be more accessible to most!
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
I am confused with this idea of the register (of interest to change). A friend went last week before the original deadline and has been given an appointment for February 4th.
1 user says Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
Shame they're waiting with the DL exchange until now but as long as they're registered (before Brexit) for the exchange they should be fine, I guess. Fingers Crossed
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driving in Fuerteventura for UK drivers after Brexit Sam 33 4,547 21-10-2019, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Medical for driving licence exchange? gattaca66 6 1,058 09-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Last Post: gattaca66
  Can you have BOTH a Spanish Driving Licence and UK Driving Licence Archer 9 1,454 18-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Sam