This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
gardening fuerteventura

Gardening in Fuerteventura
Referring back to posts #27 and #28, a yellow Datura has sprung to life in a pot and started blooming. To be honest I thought this one had given up the ghost to red spider mite, so a pleasant surprise.

[Image: pas2uwD.jpg]

Looking around the garden today it is noticeable how many plants/shrubs are putting out new growth - it's like we get a second 'spring' when the extreme summer heat eases. It also encourages a re-emergence of the bugs: ants, cochinilla, green (and other colour) fly and scale are all on the increase again.
If anyone growing milkweed has been bothered by a bright yellow/orange fly (like green/black fly) I've discovered it is Oleander Fly. The only way to control it that won't harm your caterpillars is by squashing them by hand - be warned, they stain! Be careful that it is this bug and not butterfly eggs you're squashing!
Living my dream
[+] 4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Tamara,

I have a new Angels Trumpet but not as mature as yours.

Thanks for the warning about the bugs on the milkweed too. I saw some in the stalks a while back. 

My new milkweed seedlings are doing well. Both types. Need potting on. May have few to spare in a couple of weeks.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to OMR + MIN for this post
Reply Quote
[Image: ro0rONi.jpg] Oleander bug in the Milkweed.

[Image: mbXRoBs.jpg] One of the milkweeds is recovering rapidly and back in bloom.

[Image: tM57SRd.jpg] A batch of some sort of eggs - have to wait and see what they are.

[Image: ZE2PMMI.jpg] and a crop of fungi!
Living my dream
[+] 5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote