This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
palms growing fuerteventura

Growing Palms on Fuerteventura
I know Palm trees are everywhere here and provided they have some water, seem to do very well. I'm not really interested in the bog standard ones, they are 10 a penny and given away by the Cabildo most years. I don't even really want any palm trees in my garden but I can't resist a 'grow challenge'. 

When I was in El Matorral a few weeks ago (9th Nov) I walked my dog along the grass area opposite Mercadona/Lidl etc and came across some seed under one of the Bismarckia Nobilis:

[Image: V6gt0mC.jpg] [Image: h0yDeHy.jpg] [Image: 1Hk8RCR.jpg]

[Image: dAzgRzC.jpg] the seed I collected from under the tree.

Planted them up following online guidance (keep hot and high humidity) and left them to take their chances. Today I spotted what looks like the first one sprouting:

[Image: sqSU25t.jpg]

Might have some palms for sale in 5 or 10 years ..... 🤣

Are you growing some of the more interesting palms from seed?  Edible date palm for instance?
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I would love to grow some palms, and might need to investigate what exactly they need.
Luckily I still have a while before we actually buy some land here, so having babies in pots is perfect!
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
2 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
Getting closer to seeing if it's a palm or weed!

[Image: edyB0pw.jpg]
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Not what I was hoping for  Thumbs Down

This looks more like a seedling of Caesalpinia, (seedlings 10 a penny in my garden) which is a lovely plant in itself but not the palm I was hoping for. Back to waiting and watching ......

[Image: ht6qvWX.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Growing Fruit Trees on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 38 13,483 10-06-2022, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Can the Man
  Growing Orchids on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 28 10,269 10-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Last Post: GMT
  Growing Mangoes on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 12 6,282 13-02-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Palms and Bougainvillea Tropical Palms Gary 4 2,753 19-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Davew
  Growing Pineapples on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 30 11,811 17-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sam