This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
hedgehog rescue night last

Hedgehog rescue last night
Bug 
Last night coming home near Mercadona in Corajello saw a very sorry looking hedgehog. Got some tin fish and yogurt plus water from home, got him off the road and he was just panting lying there but eventually smelled the fish and started eating... Such a relief! Hoping he will be ok now. First one we have seen on the island. Made me think what difficult life the poor critters have, where can they even get water from here?! :-(
3 users say Thank You to Maggie76 for this post
Reply Quote
Providing wet canned dog/cat food (avoid fishy flavours) mixed with crushed dog biscuits is a useful supplement.  Do not put out bread and milk as this makes hedgehogs very ill.  Info taken from this site"
https://www.devonwildlifetrust.org/take-...gJkWfD_BwE

I have seen many hedgehogs in Caleta, one evening I saw a mum hog and 4 babies were walking down my road all in good health.
3 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
(24-12-2020, 09:55 AM)Maggie76 Wrote: Last night coming home near Mercadona in Corajello saw a very sorry looking hedgehog. Got some tin fish and yogurt plus water from home, got him off the road and he was just panting lying there but eventually smelled the fish and started eating... Such a relief! Hoping he will be ok now. First one we have seen on the island. Made me think what difficult life the poor critters have, where can they even get water from here?! :-(

They eat the snails and get moisture from them! Crunch, slurp 🤣🤣🤣
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I have seen them in Caleta also down near the old El Capitan, I think the eat some of the cat food and water. I know he hedgehogs iced had in my garden in Ireland often come along and finish what the cats not finished. I generally put more of the dried food out for them after the cats are finished.

Very important not to give them milk it upsets their stomach and they will get very bad diarrhoea which can dehydrate them.  They left vex slugs and snails.
1 user says Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
Tamara "They eat the snails and get moisture from them! Crunch, slurp 🤣🤣🤣 "  You've just put me right off my food !!!
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Sorry Emmi but how was I to know you were having escargots for Christmas Dinner?  🐌 🐌🐌🤣
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hedgehog Hiding windermeregolfer 3 1,205 16-03-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya