This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
planes mystery landing

Mystery planes landing at 3 a.m.
Maybe because the airstrip at villa Winter is no longer functional?
1 user says Thank You to erik_tonny for this post
Reply Quote
The abandoned Herr Winter airstrip in Jandia is marked on Google earth at 28 5 19N 14 29 27W, on the right of the track north from Puerto de la Cruz. It was built to replace a wartime strip a bit to the west

Aeródromo del Jarde is signposted to the right of the FV50 from the FV2 to Antigua. It is still in use for pleasure flights

There is another abandoned airport as you say at Tetir, which was the main island airport until the present one opened about 1980 I think. It is now used for horse racing, but you can see the old terminal building at the side of the road.  Before Tetir, the airport was west of Tefia. I have looked but so far have not found any sign of it. It was there that the first scheduled flights from Madrid landed in the fifties.

We first visited Fue in 1983. The airport, on the present site, was little more than a shed - they put our bags on a low wall outside for us to collect. There was only one plane a week from the UK, which called at Lanzarote first.
3 users say Thank You to Pho for this post
Reply Quote
(31-03-2019, 03:27 PM)Pho Wrote: The abandoned Herr Winter airstrip in Jandia is marked on Google earth at 28 5 19N 14 29 27W, on the right of the track north from Puerto de la Cruz. It was built to replace a wartime strip a bit to the west

Aeródromo del Jarde is signposted to the right of the FV50 from the FV2 to Antigua. It is still in use for pleasure flights

There is another abandoned airport as you say at Tetir, which was the main island airport until the present one opened about 1980 I think. It is now used for horse racing, but you can see the old terminal building at the side of the road.  Before Tetir, the airport was west of Tefia. I have looked but so far have not found any sign of it. It was there that the first scheduled flights from Madrid landed in the fifties.

We first visited Fue in 1983. The airport, on the present site, was little more than a shed - they put our bags on a low wall outside for us to collect. There was only one plane a week from the UK, which called at Lanzarote first.

When we first came February 1979 one flight per week from Luton going to Teneriffe, and the collected you on, as we went no way back, not 100% sure, but I do not think we airport we arrived at was the existing one, as we were staying at one of the hotels on The Dunes, and we did not go anywhere near Puerto to get there was only about  a twenty minute drive if I recall correctly.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(31-03-2019, 03:27 PM)Pho Wrote: ...

Thanks Pho, never knew about the airport. Looks pretty tiny, though.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Pretty tiny and pretty rough! When my other half flew from there I didn't think the plane would clear the stone wall at the end of the runway  Big Grin . On coming back they had to go round twice before it was clear to land -  a pair of guirres were circling directly overhead. The pilot had a small Italian plane that they went up in (can't remember the name) and another contraption that looked like a cross between a plane and a copter. They flew around most of the island's coast, avoiding the main airport area, said the views were amazing. They landed somewhere down south for a quick pitstop, bit of track that could have been an old airstrip, and someone appeared out of nowhere in a VW camper to see if they needed assistance.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(11-04-2019, 11:47 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Pretty tiny and pretty rough! When my other half flew from there I didn't think the plane would clear the stone wall at the end of the runway  Big Grin . On coming back they had to go round twice before it was clear to land...

It sounds like an adventure ✈️😍

(11-04-2019, 11:47 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: ... They landed somewhere down south for a quick pitstop, bit of track that could have been an old airstrip, and someone appeared out of nowhere in a VW camper to see if they needed assistance.

That'll be the aforementioned strip near Puerto de la Cruz, serving Villa Winter and their guests.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
My wife heard one this morning at 3am (we're on Fuerteventura Golf). She said it sounded big - I'm guessing Hercules or similar.
2 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
A couple of military transports landed about 17:45/18:15 last night, so very probable.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(31-03-2019, 12:24 AM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: I saw a pink, fluffy UFO today Sam  Big Grin 

[Image: sIKqaSj.jpg]

Just came across this video: Start watching at 30:11 and let us know your thoughts  Confused

I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Helicopter heading toward Gran Canaria at 22:35 does not bode well??
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Binter buying some new planes TamaraEnLaPlaya 2 1,318 20-12-2023, 07:37 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Emergency landing at Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 2,770 07-01-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Aborted Landing windermeregolfer 9 5,297 23-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Ducks