This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
amazon online shopping particular

Online Shopping? Amazon in particular.
Does anyone have much experience with using Amazon out here?

Do you prefer to use UK or ES? How long does shipping usually take? Do you have to go to the Post Office to collect your items? Would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences. I need a few items that are dirt cheap on Amazon UK, but I'm unlikely to find on the island, so I'm thinking of taking the online ordering plunge.
2 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
(28-12-2019, 01:48 AM)Ducks Wrote: Does anyone have much experience with using Amazon out here?

Do you prefer to use UK or ES? How long does shipping usually take? Do you have to go to the Post Office to collect your items? Would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences. I need a few items that are dirt cheap on Amazon UK, but I'm unlikely to find on the island, so I'm thinking of taking the online ordering plunge.

Hi Ducks, I use Amazon a lot, there are some issues, it's generally around whether or not Amazon is fulfilling the order from one of their warehouses, some times they will not deliver an item from the UK that is available fro Amazon ES, and some of their suppliers will not deliver here at all, however I still manage to get most of it sorted, delivery depends on where the item{s} are coming from if fulfilled by AmazonUK 7/14 Days, I contacted them and informed them that as we live outside of the UK we are not subject to VAT, { you can import anything on to the island up to around €150 duty-free} and this generally covers the postage, it works well for us but can take a bit of working out from Where to buy an item.
This link will take you to a web site that compares prices on all of Amazon's sites worldwide, so you can decide for yourself, we normally look to get it fulfilled by AmazonUK normally the cheapest.

https://es.camelcamelcamel.com/?

GOOD LUCK
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
6 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I use Amazon UK and eBay and so far have never had a problem getting things shipped here. On one occasion I had an Amazon delivery agent come up to our apartment and ring the bell. I have had deliveries from China bought through eBay, delivered to our post box without any issues. When placing an order through Amazon UK, when you get to the point of saying what address you want for the delivery, Amazon will flag up if the supplier cannot deliver to Fuerte. We also put our NIE number some where in the address, to avoid tax issues. So far we have never had to pay anything in addition to the purchase amount. Another point is that VAT is not charged when shipping from the UK to the Canaries. With regards to the amount of time it takes for the delivery, that is in "the lap of the Gods", I guess it also depends on what you are ordering.  I hope this helps.
3 users say Thank You to MLA for this post
Reply Quote
(28-12-2019, 08:47 AM)Johnrgby Wrote:
(28-12-2019, 01:48 AM)Ducks Wrote: Does anyone have much experience with using Amazon out here?

{ you can import anything on to the island up to around €150 duty-free} 

Regarding purchases from the UK, this might change after Brexit.  I hope I'm wrong, but as far I am aware, the €150 exemption is only applicable to countries in the the EU.
2 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
(28-12-2019, 01:14 PM)Tardis Wrote:
(28-12-2019, 08:47 AM)Johnrgby Wrote:

{ you can import anything on to the island up to around €150 duty-free} 

Regarding purchases from the UK, this might change after Brexit.  I hope I'm wrong, but as far I am aware, the €150 exemption is only applicable to countries in the the EU.

But the UK sellers shouldn't be charging VAT on items shipped outside the UK.  The same way they currently don't charge VAT on goods shipped to North America
1 user says Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
You are correct Will they should not be charging VAT on product leaving the UK, but as the UK is currently in the EU, and the standard rate of VAT across the EU is 20% you need to ensure they are aware that you live outside the UK, not everyone is aware of this, and I fail to see what bearing the UK leaving the EU will have on product imported onto the Island, The US and China are outside the EU and we have imported from both countries, this was the point I was trying to make. { Badly obviously }
4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Right now UK shops should be charging local VAT for goods shipped with in the EU. So if that's UK to Spain they should charge whatever the Spanish rate is. If the Canary island rate is lower (7%?) they should charge that.

When the UK is outside the EU they should charge zero. 

I think only small traders can avoid this. But obviously Amazon isn't small.
2 users say Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
(28-12-2019, 04:35 PM)Will Wrote: Right now UK shops should be charging local VAT for goods shipped with in the EU. So if that's UK to Spain they should charge whatever the Spanish rate is. If the Canary island rate is lower (7%?) they should charge that.

When the UK is outside the EU they should charge zero. 

I think only small traders can avoid this. But obviously Amazon isn't small.

Well as I have previously said we do not pay VAT with amazon and one or two other companies, but you have to tell them you are outside the EU.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Same experiences as others re VAT, Amazon.com or Amazon.es decisions etc.
Our biggest problem is when the supplier uses DPD as it's courier. Other couriers manage to deliver or phone to arrange a meeting point but DPD are USELESS. Everything that has been meant to come via them has always ended up returned to Amazon as 'unable to be delivered'. Of course you don't know in advance which courier will be engaged by the seller. I'm not even sure that DPD have a depot on the island which may be the root of the problem!
The best results are the bits that come by ordinary post - our Correos Postie is brilliant! - and they get here in 4-7 working days from the UK. We also used to put our NIE as part of our address but our Postie was horrified - he said too many people see our name + address + phone number + NIE and the fact we use Amazon or similar and are opening ourselves up to ID theft/fraud.

If you have Amazon Prime in the UK and can't find a supplier who will deliver to Spain you can consider doing what I've done a few times. I have the item sent Prime (FOC) to Woodside's storage depot in the UK and then they bring it out on their next container and I pay their charge when I collect from El Matorral. Contact Woodside (Annette or Dianne) if you want to pursue this option, before you place your order!
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I was under the distinct impression that DPD had stopped delivering to The Island 2/3 years ago, a couple of months after one of their agents wanted to charge me circa €70 for something that had originally cost circa €60, obviously, I told him where to put it, and soon after I am sure I read somewhere they had closed down, but agree with Tamara if it comes by post no problem and again agree about Woodside,
5 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote