This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

[-]
Tags
reduced charges prescriptions

Reduced Prescriptions Charges
We were charged in Antigua late last week.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I was charged in La Oliva on Tuesday, the normal 10%.
Living my dream
[+] 2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I had a read about prescription charges in Spain and it looks like it's a bit more complicated than the system in the UK.

There's a limit on how much pensioners have to spend to get the rest of the prescribed meds free of charge. The cap is for each Calendar month. You can ask the pharmacist, they should be able to see your Farmacia code (something like TSI 002) in the system and tell you what your cap is.

It's all about the income:

There's no cap for non pensioners and the rates are 60%, 50% and 40% in the same, three income bands you can see below.

For pensioners getting less than €18k a year the cost is 10% with a cap of €8-ish per month. If your income is between €18k and €100k, the charge is still 10% but the cap is about €20. If you earn more than €100k a year, the cap is €60.

Once you go over the cap in the particular month, you'll get all the prescription medicines completely free of charge.

This could be the reason why Poppi123 got (at the end of last month) free tablets from the pharmacy.

(05-06-2019, 04:21 PM)poppi123 Wrote: 2 weeks ago went to collect my tablets on perscription its all free now ,,,,

The income details are taken from your latest tax return and if you haven't made a tax refund last year then the cap is removed and you have to pay the full (as a pensioner) 10% all the time.
I Heart Fuerteventura
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Was back at La Oliva pharmacy today and asked about the 'free' prescriptions I had heard some people had had. I was told the Gobierno has given Pensioners a 'prescription charge holiday'! The pharmacist pointed to a code on my prescription sheet and said anyone with that code didn't have to pay even the 10% for prescriptions for the time being but she didn't know how long it would last. When I asked why I had to pay on my previous visit she just shrugged!

Thanks to poppi123 for highlighting this.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
For the last couple of months both mine and my other half's prescriptions have been free of charge - great! This week mine was free, my OH had to pay 10% again - the pharmacist said to query with Social Services (INSS) in Puerto - don't think I fancy that hassle for the few cents involved! See what happens next time …..  Huh
Living my dream
Reply Quote
My wife and I have always paid 10%. I am a pensioner and my wife should be but of course was screwed by the UK Government out of hers for 6 years (just saying we don't work). I wouldn't bother claiming either unless it could be done online.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
Just to illustrate the point re. price differences in Farmacias, my wife has had to buy some vaseline to combat some dry skin she has, €3.50 in Caleta €2.47 in Antigua, and it is exactly the same product.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
But how long had it been in stock in Antigua? Perhaps the price sticker was applied in 1999! I bought something in a shop the other day and it had 2 price stickers - the top one was in euros, the lower one it didn't quite cover was pesetas!!   Big Grin
Living my dream
Reply Quote
That has happened to me but not in a Farmacia, this is date coded until 09/10/2021 so I would doubt it is old stock. Smile
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote