This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
en zarza pico reforestación

Reforestación en el Pico de la Zarza
The Cabildo of Fuerteventura performs reforestation work in Pico de la Zarza to combat the effects of desertification

The reforestation project has included the planting of 200 endemic species in the area, including other actions

The Cabildo of Fuerteventura has carried out reforestation tasks in the Pico de la Zarza, in the municipality of Pájara, with the aim of curbing the effects of desertification in this area. Specifically, repair work has been carried out on perimeter fences, conditioning of the gates of these fences and the planting of some two hundred endemic species of the environment, among other actions.

With the aim of reducing the impact of desertification, the Cabildo has been developing a series of reforestation projects in different parts of the island. According to the president of the Island Corporation, "these actions always require this type of maintenance work, without which we could not recover the own habitats of these zones and soften the processes of erosion ".

For its part, the Minister of Environment, Natalia Évora, said that "Fuerteventura is one of the islands of the Archipelago most punished by desertification, largely due to the loss of vegetation, so that reforestation is essential to try decrease this phenomenon of soil loss, with projects that have been developed over the years. "

The species were obtained thanks to the study on the floristic composition of the soil seed bank of the Jandía massif, carried out by Rubén Hernández Cerdeña, a scientific work funded by the Cabildo through the research grants granted each year.

For the planting of these specimens, the Island Corporation has also had the cooperation of the program of actions of recovery and conservation of the natural environment in the Canary Islands carried out by the Ministry of Sustainability of the Government of the Canary Islands, Fundación Bancaria La Caixa and Fundación CajaCanarias through a collaboration agreement.

[Image: t7KP03B.jpg]

[Image: JuTRQOZ.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Brilliant project. I wonder what they are doing to combat that major cause of desertification on islands around the World, namely feral goats. In a few years the Chipmonks (African Ground-Squirrels) will also be a big problem for emerging vegetation. The only surefire way is to eradicate them as on the Galapagos and other island chains. Then the new plantlife will stand a chance.
2 users say Thank You to waggy for this post
Reply Quote
Whatever happened to the plan from a while ago, to roundup all the ferrel goats and take them to Pozo Negro? Any owner claiming their stock back would be charged €50 per head. The Cabildo even said they had hired a company to manage this process. But nothing came of it?
I'm with you on this one. Control all the stray goats and chipmonks and the vegetation will start to return.
Commendable as it is, I'm afraid planting 200 trees will make little impact. A drop in the ocean on a massive mountain.

More action is needed to return the island to how it was before being stripped of all trees. Lime-burning, I believe.
2 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
I thought a lot of the feral goats were rounded up - certainly very few to be seen roaming in our area now, only those being herded between locations or on private ground. Have to remember that some mountains are private ground so goats seen on those are legal as long as they contained within fencing, however far in the distance it may be!

Totally agree about the ground squirrels as well - needs a big extermination effort rather than tourists feeding them with peanuts!
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
The Council for the Environment, Fight Against Climate Change Circular Economy and R + D + I of the Cabildo and the Biosphere Reserve team report that the presentation of a new European project in the Call has been completed "successfully" Life, called "Jandía Alive", a proposal for the restoration of the habitat of the ancient thermophilic forest of Fuerteventura.

The project has a budget of 2.6 million and has been conceived to restore the remains of the island's old dry laurel forest, and especially on the peaks of Fuerteventura, which is where it is still represented.

The proposal submitted to the European financing line combines the in situ restoration of these ecosystems with the creation of a genetic bank of the unique specimens found on the Jandía Peninsula, as well as a commitment to training and the creation of green jobs dedicated to the revegetation of the Island.

One of the axes of action of the project proposes joining efforts with the private initiative, local entities and civil society in order to involve, sensitize and recover this jewel of nature known as "the lost forests of Jandía".

"It is also intended to revalue the biodiversity, both of the flora and fauna of this ecosystem, avoiding their irreversible loss and increasing the attractiveness that the island's peaks already have," adds the institution.

The Minister for the Environment, Marlene Figueroa, has expressed her "satisfaction" with this line of work, "with which we are responding to one of our main commitments, which consists of betting on the revaluation and revitalization of the island's natural heritage , seeking European funding and with the aim of creating green jobs and generating a sustainable circular economy ".

https://www.diariodefuerteventura.com/no...-de-jandía
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote