This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
islands canary closing its all bases possibly ryanair

Ryanair possibly closing all its bases in the Canary Islands
(09-01-2020, 09:34 AM)Johnrgby Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 09:13 AM)Spitfire58 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 08:21 AM)Rasputin Wrote: Just a thought, but if the 737 max were allowed to fly again would anyone chance using them?

That was a 737-800 (newest model) that crashed yesterday 

I believe you are mistaken The new 737 max which is the newest model are all grounded and have been for some months.

Hi John,
The 737-800 & 737max are two different aircraft, I know the 737max has been grounded since last year. There is an updated 737-800, it’s the one with the thinner seats & bigger luggage holders. I thought I heard that the crash yesterday was one of those but may be wrong
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:09 AM)Spitfire58 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 08:21 AM)Rasputin Wrote: Just a thought, but if the 737 max were allowed to fly again would anyone chance using them?

I believe you are mistaken The new 737 max which is the newest model are all grounded and have been for some months.

Hi John,
The 737-800 & 737max are two different aircraft, I know the 737max has been grounded since last year. There is an updated 737-800, it’s the one with the thinner seats & bigger luggage holders. I thought I heard that the crash yesterday was one of those but may be wrong

My apologies you are correct Ron the 800 is a tweaked version of 1990,s design while the Max is a new design.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote

Yeah it’s the 737 Max which are all grounded the 737 800 are an old tried and trusted model. What happened the other day still needs to be explained. 
If they start using the Max its my Bum on their seat and I may not be happy with that. We’ll see when the time comes.
3 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
(09-01-2020, 09:18 AM)Spitfire58 Wrote: There were a number of airlines went bust last year. I have seen large numbers of TC planes parked up & not in use. I assume that like most these are leased so why are they not being repurposed or is it a contrived (to a certain extent) shortage/problem. There is obviously a problem with supply/demand due to the 737max situation but it seems like every airline around the world is blaming this, surely they weren’t all relying on just one model from one manufacturer !!! 🤔🤔🤔

Airplanes are not like TVs, you can’t just walk in and buy one. There’s something like a five year waiting list to get on the list with airbus because of the 737 Max problem. Plus the fact that all the airlines are looking for compo from Boeing. Also I would think that most if not all TCs stock are owned by leasing companies and god only knows what shenanigans are taken place between all the interested parties.
2 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
(09-01-2020, 09:18 AM)Spitfire58 Wrote: There were a number of airlines went bust last year. I have seen large numbers of TC planes parked up & not in use. I assume that like most these are leased so why are they not being repurposed or is it a contrived (to a certain extent) shortage/problem. There is obviously a problem with supply/demand due to the 737max situation but it seems like every airline around the world is blaming this, surely they weren’t all relying on just one model from one manufacturer !!! 🤔🤔🤔

What type of planes do they have parked? Pilots and cabin crew needs to be trained on the type. Ryanair is  doubly screwed.  Some other airlines have crews and maintenance  setup for different models so at least they can consider other planes.

If they're older planes they likely have older engines burning more fuel. If they're bigger planes they might not be right for some smaller airports.

Even if there are planes you're competing with all the airlines that have grounded planes or haven't received their planes. That means leasing those planes won't be cheap. 

Ryanair was supposed to have received I think fifty planes by now. Each with space for about 190 passengers. Flying multiple flights a day.
2 users say Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
Ryanair may not be double screwed as you say. Since they bought Lauda motion the are now using airbus on that part of the business.
3 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
I read an interesting article on The Max a month or so ago, apparently, the 737 was originally designed with a shorter undercarriage than other jets supposedly to make passenger access easier, but modern jet engines are more economical but fatter than the older ones would not fit under the wings of a normal 737, so the solution was to move the engines closer to the fuselage the, unfortunately, this made the aircraft less aerodynamic and gave it a tendency to go nose up, the solution to this one was to fit something that counteracted this, and made The Max react like any other 737, which removed the need to have pilots retrain on them, now I am no techie and I am going from memory, I believe that as standard, there was no cockpit indicator that told the pilot that this had activated itself, they were allegedly available but at more cost so were not fitted and these it is being speculated is what caused the nose down attitude of the crashed aircraft, as a layman I would have thought if it was a simple as that, either removing the device and retraing pilots or simply fitting a warning device as standard would have resolved the issue.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Also the repositioning of the engines could in certain conditions (ie full throttle on takeoff) but not always, cause the nose of the aircraft to raise and induce a stall. Being at a relatively low altitude and full power going to the engines this is a very dangerous situation to be in as recovery is almost impossible.
2 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
I guess they could use Lauda crews and planes but is there enough spare capacity there? Even if there was it still leaves them with extra 737 pilots.
2 users say Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
I don’t think it’s simply a case of removing or adding a switch/light. From what I heard you are pretty much right John but the “compensation” system to counteract the nose lift is an integral part of the whole aircraft system software so maybe not an easy fix. Hopefully resolved sooner than later & it can show a few months of reliable use. Once it’s shown to be safe in daily use people will feel more comfortable booking tickets. I certainly wouldn’t be keen until time has gone by
3 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ryanair opening bases in Tenerife & Lanzarote TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 787 22-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya