This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average

[-]
Tags
fuerteventura woodland

The only woodland in Fuerteventura
If you are bored of going to the beach every single day it might be a good idea to have a BBQ or picnic in the woods - not sure if woods is the right word though.

To find this place isn't that difficult once you know where to look.

Our starting point is Betancuria - once the capital of the Kingdom of the Canary Islands (for about 20 years) and later the capital of Fuerteventura (over 400 years). Anyway, once in Betancuria you want to leave using the FV30 in the direction to Pajara

Driving downhill for a few hundred yards you'll see a track on your left with a little bit of white wall - see the first pic.

Now simply follow the track for about 15 minutes and you'll end up in the "woodland" - second pic.

There's BBQ facility on site as well as clean toilets.  

The trees were planted in the time around WW2 as an experiment to find out if commercial forestry was viable. The location itself isn't a bad choice because it's one of the rainiest place in Fuerteventura. You'll be able to see the result of the experiment on your own. I guess 80 years trees should looks a bit bigger, especially if you're planning to use them for a business.

Bear in mind the pic was taken three years ago and the trees could be one inch higher now Big Grin
I Heart Fuerteventura
5 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
It doesn't usually look that green.  The locals use it a lot for birthday parties.
2 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Looking at that storm drain they must expect it to pour down now and again!
2 users say Thank You to zedzedeleven for this post
Reply Quote
(31-10-2018, 10:46 PM)Captain Sensible Wrote: It doesn't usually look that green.  The locals use it a lot for birthday parties.

Took the picture in February, that was the greenest I can remember. Never seen there any birthday party but one or couple of families over the weekend. Nice and quiet place though.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Isn't this very near to the place that you go to get your trees on the Day of The Tree?  I think Steve CS or Tamara if she is a member here will know.

If so it is a lovely area and you can combine getting your free trees and having a picnic lunch in the woods.
3 users say Thank You to Perrypower1 for this post
Reply Quote
That is certainly a new destination to visit Smile Smile
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
3 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
Been there a few times, very nice relaxed place to have a picnic.  Thumbs Up
I need a six month vacation twice a year Cool
2 users say Thank You to Mia for this post
Reply Quote
(01-11-2018, 10:34 AM)Perrypower1 Wrote: Isn't this very near to the place that you go to get your trees on the Day of The Tree?  I think Steve CS or Tamara if she is a member here will know.

If so it is a lovely area and you can combine getting your free trees and having a picnic lunch in the woods.

Hi Perrypower - good to see you on here.
I get my free plants/trees from the municipal nursery in La Oliva so I'm not sure of the Betancuria location for it.
I'll keep my eyes out for the info regarding this year's offer (hopefully) and post it on here as soon as.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(01-11-2018, 10:02 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 10:34 AM)Perrypower1 Wrote: Isn't this very near to the place that you go to get your trees on the Day of The Tree?  I think Steve CS or Tamara if she is a member here will know.

Hi Perrypower - good to see you on here.
I get my free plants/trees from the municipal nursery in La Oliva so I'm not sure of the Betancuria location for it.
I'll keep my eyes out for the info regarding this year's offer (hopefully) and post it on here as soon as.

Perry - it is just further along the track from the Betancuria Nursery where they issue free trees and plants.  I haven't seen any information about free plants in La Oliva/Betancuria as yet this year. It's usually associated with the Day of the Tree - Dia del Arbol
4 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
The Cabildo de Fuerteventura awards work for the conditioning of ravines in the areas of Castillo de Lara and Parra Medina

The actions are carried out with the aim of keeping the channels in good condition and controlling the erosion processes

The project is part of the Canary Islands Rural Development Program and is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD)

The Cabildo de Fuerteventura, through the Ministry of the Environment, will carry out restoration work on slopes and riverbed of ravines in the areas of Parra Medina and Castillo de Lara, in the Betancuria Rural Park. These actions, which will begin within a period of approximately one month, are intended to keep the riverbeds in good condition and control erosion processes in the ravines.

The Castillo de Lara works have been awarded to the company Garden Ika SL for an amount of 87,218.10 euros and a term of execution of ten weeks. For its part, the performances in Parra Medina will be carried out by Crispal Islas. SL, with a budget of 92,442.81 euros and an execution period of three months.

In this way, according to the councillor of the area, Marlene Figueroa, "a series of actions to restore the ravines will be undertaken, with the aim of stopping soil erosion due to the action of the water and repairing the stretches of riverbeds affected" .

To do this, the existing stone walls on the slopes and in the bed of the ravines will be rehabilitated, elements that fulfil the function of stopping runoff waters and reducing the process of soil erosion. Likewise, the channel of the ravines will be conditioned with the removal of sediments and materials accumulated in them.

These actions are part of the Canary Islands Rural Development Program (PDR) 2014-2020 and are co-financed by the European Union through the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD).

The works, which are carried out in favor of the conservation of the natural environment, will cause as a security measure the closure of the facilities of the Castillo de Lara Recreational Area, Parra Medina Nature Classroom and the Casa de los Padrones Refuge.

http://www.cabildofuer.es/cabildo/el-cab...ra-medina/
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote