This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
fuerteventura wildlife

Wildlife on Fuerteventura
Cockroach! 😥
Exterminate, exterminate 🤣
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(03-05-2020, 11:41 AM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Cockroach! 😥
Exterminate, exterminate 🤣

Already met it's maker  Big Grin Big Grin
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:27 AM)windermeregolfer Wrote: Ok what is this little critter found in our den / office this morning, had heard a strange buzzing sound whilst lying in bed not a mossie so take it it was this insect.  I got outside and 3 hours later it hasn't flown away, ants were attacking it.

Looks very much like a thing in Texas that we called a tree roach.  But, of course, the Texas one was WAAAYYYYYY bigger
4 users say Thank You to hairybiker for this post
Reply Quote
A lot of swallows flying around this morning, they're very late for their stop over during migration. Did anyone else witness the invasion that we had some years ago? I can't remember exactly what year it was, '09, '10, '11? I have some photos that I'll have to look for.
3 users say Thank You to milestone11 for this post
Reply Quote
Ok all you knowledgeable folk what are these little slug type things?  Can't see where they are falling from on to our patio but the ants love them.

Click to enlarge the image

Thanks in advance for any replies.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
Looks like a maggot to me WG.
3 users say Thank You to milestone11 for this post
Reply Quote
I've had doves nest in my flamboyante tree this year, how the nest stayed up in the wind and how the chick stayed put when it hatched is nothing short of a miracle! Today it's been hopping around in the tree and looks fully fledged - I expect it to fly tomorrow. Meanwhile the parents have constructed yet another nest (if you can call half a dozen untidy twigs a nest) in the solar lamp post outside my gate!
[Image: DCStidy.jpg] [Image: CUQTYXt.jpg]
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Update on the doves:
The nest in the lamp-post was abandoned after several days - insomnia?  Big Grin
They resumed service in the previous nest in my flamboyante tree and another chick left the nest yesterday.

So this afternoon I decided to have a siesta on my bed under the fan going full blast as it was so hot. Came to after an hour, opened my eyes and right on the pillow beside me was this tiny gecko! It was all of 3 or 4 cms long (the piece of wood is 1.5 cms wide) and quickly got shown the garden! (Bit worrying that I sleep with my mouth open !!) 🦎🤣

[Image: SHV1xGj.jpg]
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Spotted purely by luck, a tiny (half inch), transparent, baby mantis:

[Image: LeRRpLZ.jpg]

I have to confess to feeding it to a lizard - the adult mantis prey on caterpillars amongst other things and I didn't want it getting near my Monarchs.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
Definitely a day for geckos. Opened my compost bin and there were 2 inside the lid and 2 on the compost, all good sized. And then when I was watering I inadvertently gave one a bath! Sorry pics aren't too clear, the sun was very bright.

[Image: WzJIFyF.jpg] [Image: 1xk5Tyd.jpg]

[Image: VLu92OA.jpg]

Along with the lizards it's quite interesting to see them licking wet surfaces to get a drink. Mind you, my dog does the same and she's got 2 water bowls!
Living my dream
Reply Quote