This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
fuerteventura wildlife

Wildlife on Fuerteventura
LOL!  Well I thought about it Tamara, but the bucket of water he had been floating in was rather murky so I declined! Undecided
3 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
(03-07-2019, 08:51 AM)Emmi Smith Wrote: Couple of months ago I found a gecko floating in a bucket of water I had in the garden.  I love them so much, that I ridiculously tried to resuscitate it with CPR,but it didn't work. I gave him/her a decent burial! Cry

Are you absolutely sure it was dead Emmi?

Some reptiles play dead when under threat or attacked.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_death

It seems odd that evolution has equipped the gecko with the ability to walk up a glass patio door, but never thought to teach it to swim   Huh
3 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
It was dead alright!!!  No doubt about it.
4 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Some lovely green and blue dragonflies around this afternoon - colour doesn't really show up in the pics.

[Image: y8rHVzv.jpg]
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Any ideas what this wee beastie is? About the size of a large ladybird.

[Image: Vc75BsL.jpg] [Image: YgroST1.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Tamara

That one goes by a few different names, depending in which part of the World they are found.
In the UK they are known as Southern Green Shield Bug - In the USA, Southern Green Stink Bug - In the Southern hemisphere they drop the 'Southern' and just call it a Green Vegetable Bug.

That one is in the bug's nymph stage and will change its form as it grows and matures to the more recognisable bright green shield shape and will continue to happily munch on your veg crops as it does so.
3 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks GF. Interesting, but what a shame as I was hoping it was a beneficial bug like the ladybirds. Now you've ID'd it I can see the similarity to the adult stink bugs I've had.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
There were 3 guirres circling over Tindaya today but too high to get a pic on my phone of the 3 together. 1 did come down a bit lower on it's own:

[Image: 2SKybNs.jpg]

Spotted a little hedgehog when out dog walking 6-7pm. It was about 6" nose to tail.

[Image: ZvbMuaY.jpg]

Saw several Painted Lady butterflies, some dragonflies and some tiny blue butterflies in my garden this afternoon but all were photo-shy!
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
This little gecko popped out after being showered accidentally this afternoon!

[Image: BvmIhUD.jpg]

And this lizard tail fell down the back of my shirt just after I'd seen a kestrel swoop over the garden! The air turned blue as it was still wriggling while I tried to discover what is was and get it out  - as if I wasn't hot and bothered enough today  Big Grin 

[Image: vtPsCH3.jpg]
Living my dream
Reply Quote
[Image: Pr6RLdF.jpg]
this kestrel spent all morning returning to his perch on a street light on the outskirts of Corralejo, never had my phone out when he was flying though  Cry 

Home in Tindaya this evening 4 or 5 dragonflies suddenly arrived at dusk, zooming around the garden like crazy:

[Image: IpQqhmE.jpg]
Living my dream
Reply Quote