Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
puerto wind rosario turbines

Wind Turbines - Puerto del Rosario
Wow, this is spectacular!

It's amazing to see how far Fuerte has come from having no electricity some 40-50 years ago!

And it's amazing that they are putting such an emphasis on Green Energy.
Every time I visit the Island of La Palma, I am shocked to see the giant diesel generators that are just pushing out clouds upon clouds of fumes and smoke.
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
1 user says Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
(29-12-2020, 06:12 PM)McAdam Wrote: Wow, this is spectacular!

It's amazing to see how far Fuerte has come from having no electricity some 40-50 years ago!

I should think it is a little further back than that we came here first in 1979, and from what \the Island was like then, underdeveloped yes but there was certainly electricity just about everywhere, and when you consider the first Airport was opened in 1940,s, that would suggest there was electrical power here some 80 years ago
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
1 user says Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I read an amazing article about the history of electricity on fuerte - about 9 months ago. I just spent a whole hour trying to find it again with no success Sad
It had dates of installation and capacity numbers for all the generators installed on the island.

You are probably right, It could be the mid-70s that the first real grid was built. But I am sure that the early 70s was only localized power with some towns not having any power at all.
Before that, there were localized generators dotted all over the island, with some being privately owned.
Most major hotels had their own generators that ran 24/7.

Even the airport had its own system, which was replaced when the runway extended. I think this was mid-70s with the first international flight.

I have a bit of interest in this since I do a bit of work with Solar and Off-Grid power systems... hence why I read the article in the first place Big Grin
Now I'm wishing I added to my bookmarks.
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
1 user says Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Promenade from Los Pozos, Puerto del Rosario to Playa Blanca Captain Sensible 18 3,110 19-12-2020, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Sam
  New hotel at the seafront in Puerto del Rosario Sam 2 1,195 29-10-2019, 11:55 AM
  Photovoltaic plants in Puerto del Rosario Sam 3 1,073 28-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Captain Sensible
  A new Seguridad Social Office is planned in Puerto del Rosario Captain Sensible 0 1,250 15-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Captain Sensible
  New building just up from Electron in Risco Prieto - Puerto del Rosario Decho 10 3,363 23-05-2019, 08:58 PM