This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
atm charges

ATM charges
We have been withdrawing cash with a Caxton card at a Bankia ATM with no charges from the bank for several years. This time however we have been charged 1.75 euros per transaction by the bank. Does anyone know of a bank which allows commission free Caxton withdrawals in Corralejo or Rosario?
2 users say Thank You to Pho for this post
Reply Quote
No sure of all banks but last time we were out a few months ago all ATM’s were charging. I remember  it being approx 1.80€. The only one I could specifically say to avoid is Santander. They seem to charge 5€ for all cash withdrawals
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
The stand alone machines seem to be the worst.   I alway try and use one connected to a bank.  I also believe
you should take the Euro option and not the sterling option when prompted.  Because you get a better rate
2 users say Thank You to Si Tie for this post
Reply Quote
Always use Caixa with our Caxton card.
Never charged anything.
Generally use the one in El Cotillo but 
same applies at the Corralejo branch.
Unless things have changed in the last
few weeks weeks of course.
2 users say Thank You to Bertie for this post
Reply Quote
One one thing I found a while ago was that all banks were charging for any bank other than their own cards. So for example I have a Sol bank card, I withdraw using the Sol bank atm in the Atlantico so no charges. I have a Euro atm card with bank of Ireland from home and there is supposed to be no charges within the euro zone, I found them stand alone machines charged a fortune, and I found the others Sol bank, La Caxia etc all charged me as well. No getting away from it when you need cash when your away the banks make a killing.
2 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for the helpful replies. I will try Caixa when next out. I have done a few tests over the years, each time taking out two identical amounts, one in sterling and one in euros from Bankia, and found the final costs almost identical. Where you have to take care to choose euros is in shops and restaurants, which can set their own rates. Some, but not all, have very bad rates.
2 users say Thank You to Pho for this post
Reply Quote
Always best to pay in your own currency that way the bank charges the current rate.
1 user says Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
(05-05-2019, 02:12 PM)Can the Man Wrote: Always best to pay in your own currency that way the bank charges the current rate.

If you mean in non Euro bad idea. You'll get a pretty horrific exchange rate usually. Best to just take € then your bank will give you the current rate.

If they bill you in £ or $ it's called Dynamic currency exchange and never good for the customer.
2 users say Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
I used to be a "cash person" in the past but nowadays hardly carry any on me. Paying by card is accepted at most places in Fuerteventura so never bothered to draw any cash from the ATM any more. Using Revolut or my (fee free) CC and carry a bit of emergency cash.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(03-05-2019, 06:43 PM)Can the Man Wrote: ... I have a Sol bank card, I withdraw using the Sol bank atm in the Atlantico so no charges...

Second that. Sabadel/Sol Bank with free withdraw (from their own ATM) in Atlantico/anywhere else in Spain was always free of charge for us.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ATM charges ... Wise, Starling, Halifax Clarity FVmouse 0 1,416 04-12-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: FVmouse
  UK Private pensions paid direct to Spanish bank account - charges! TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 1,887 03-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Last Post: classic
  What’s the latest on bank charges ? FVmouse 6 5,579 26-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Last Post: FVmouse