This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
spain residents spanish spouse uk succession wills advice

Advice on Spanish wills for UK residents in Spain
Folks, hopefully I can offer something useful back now instead of just asking questions!

There seems to be a lot of confusion over succession laws i.e. who you can leave Money to in your will. This is known legally as 'freedom of testamentary disposition'.

In Spain, there is no such freedom by default, and children and the spouse of the deceased can be the 'forced heirs' of the deceased.  Because of this, even if you make a will in Spain when resident here, you may only be able to determine the beneficiaries of one third of your estate in Spain e.g. for your spouse if you have 2 children.

We were told by a local community company that if you specify a particular person - like your spouse - in your Spanish will, to receive all your assets on death, this would supersede normal Spanish succession laws.  This is NOT true!  I have now researched 4 different law firms guides to inheritance and had the situation confirmed to me by a local tax advisor who I trust 100%.  Simply stating that you want to leave your assets to someone will not supersede Spanish succession laws. The advice is that you must state in the will that you want your estate to be distributed according to UK law which has 'freedom of testamentary disposition' (or your other native country as appropriate).

They also stress to have a Spanish will for Spanish property to avoid all documents having to be translated and apostilled if the will is in the UK, and lawyers here searching for the will in the UK (where of course there is no central system for holding wills like there is here). If you do have a UK and Spanish will, then make sure they reference each other.

Happy to be corrected of course if anyone knows differently. Though I guess I would say, why wouldn't you put that line in your will anyway?!
5 users say Thank You to Bill for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Income Tax Advice Deso 1 4,477 19-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Free Spanish Bank accounts for residents Sam 12 8,061 20-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Lexeus