This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
fuste scooters update caleta electric

Electric Scooters in Caleta de Fuste - update
At the meeting of the Ayuntamiento of Antigua today the first stage of producing a local law to control the use of electric scooters.
There is now a 30 day public discussion period before the new law comes into force.
The main highlight is (translated through Google) - The Ordinance establishes, among other highlights, the prohibition of the circulation of electric mopeds in any pedestrian area, such as sidewalks, squares, avenues or promenades, restricting their use, in some cases, to the bike lane, or according to engine power, to urban roads whose speed is limited to 30 or 50 km / h.
The full press report -  http://www.ayto-antigua.es/noticias/el-ayuntamiento-aprueba-inicialmente-la-ordenanza-reguladora-de-vehiculos-de-movilidad
7 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
(28-02-2019, 09:37 PM)Captain Sensible Wrote: ... restricting their use, in some cases, to the bike lane...
That's the best solution, IMHO. Now they'll have to teach the pedestrians not to stroll on the bike lanes.  Huh
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Trouble is a certain type of person thinks that local laws are to be ignored. I've seen a sign near the harbour which clearly says "No scooters etc" but it does not seem to stop those who have no regard for such notices. Bit like the ones that request "do not feed the  chipmunks"!!!  The flippin' chipmunks have become a tourist attraction according to at least one FaceBook page!
3 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Like everything you can make and pass a law but its the enforcement and acceptance by everyone which will make it work.
3 users say Thank You to beachlife for this post
Reply Quote
Ive always thought the cycle lanes in Corralejo are badly designed.  They should be on the road and not as part
of the pathway.  Ive seen so many near misses because people walk into the lane.  When people walk to the kerb
they look for traffic which would include bikes and scooters if they were part of the road. I think the way it is now
makes it more dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists (and soon to be scooters).
4 users say Thank You to Si Tie for this post
Reply Quote
I was actually knocked over by a cyclist in Corralejo at the top of the main street just outside the perfume shop. It was just after they had built the cycle lane/pavement, It had been raining and the path was damp I went to cross the cycle lane to cross the road looked up the cycle lane and no bike was there however as I stepped out a cyclist came at a fast rate down the cycle lane clipped me I somersaulted in the air and came down with a bang, I had blood pouring out of a head wound and fortunately a restaurant owner came out and took me into his property giving me lots of tissue to soak up the blood, The cyclist turned out to be an Italian and on examining his bike it had no tread on the tyres no brakes or bell. The restaurant owner wanted to call an ambulance and the Police. However, I was flying the next day and was concerned that I would not be allowed on a plane and would be involved in statements and a possible court case.

The Italian cyclists claimed the bike was his friends and was very apologetic, but he must have seen me. I asked him why didn`t he shout out or warn me. All he said was he couldn`t stop  he was on a hill and going too fast and he had applied brakes and nothing happened and he couldn`t steer away because there were other people on the path (as it was busy due to the rain- nobody sunbathing that morning!). 

I sometimes regret now that I didn`t take any action. Maybe if I had then some action would have been taken as I`m sure others must have had incidents on the cycle lane on the main drag.

Somebody in the planning department who came up with the idea of not separating cyclists and pedestrians should be spent time walking every day up and down the cycle lane and experience the reality of mixing the 2 groups.
3 users say Thank You to beachlife for this post
Reply Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:59 PM)beachlife Wrote: Like everything you can make and pass a law but its the enforcement and acceptance by everyone which will make it work.

They at least acknowledged the issue and want to do something about it. And this looks like better option than forcing the rental shops to close.
I Heart Fuerteventura
4 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Great news to report on this, twice I was in the white centre yesterday and there is a security guard waking round the place with a very large wooden truncheon, nearly as big as a baseball bat, anyway on each occasion he stopped some young lads on those electric scooters and told them to get off obviously his English is not great because he demonstrated to them how they should WALK in the White Centre alongside their scooter 🛴 and not be riding it. Looking at him and the truncheon I don’t think he will get many objectors.
4 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Guardia Civil barracks in Caleta de Fuste TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 97 14-03-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Alberto
  Urban art embellishes Caleta de Fuste TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 450 18-12-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Can the Man
  Brexit Meeting in Caleta de Fuste Captain Sensible 14 8,706 11-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Johnrgby
  Las Arenas complex in Caleta de Fuste joyw76 3 3,819 20-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Electric Scooters Bray 3 3,755 01-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Captain Sensible