Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
palms growing fuerteventura

Growing Palms on Fuerteventura
I know Palm trees are everywhere here and provided they have some water, seem to do very well. I'm not really interested in the bog standard ones, they are 10 a penny and given away by the Cabildo most years. I don't even really want any palm trees in my garden but I can't resist a 'grow challenge'. 

When I was in El Matorral a few weeks ago (9th Nov) I walked my dog along the grass area opposite Mercadona/Lidl etc and came across some seed under one of the Bismarckia Nobilis:

[Image: V6gt0mC.jpg] [Image: h0yDeHy.jpg] [Image: 1Hk8RCR.jpg]

[Image: dAzgRzC.jpg] the seed I collected from under the tree.

Planted them up following online guidance (keep hot and high humidity) and left them to take their chances. Today I spotted what looks like the first one sprouting:

[Image: sqSU25t.jpg]

Might have some palms for sale in 5 or 10 years ..... 🤣

Are you growing some of the more interesting palms from seed?  Edible date palm for instance?
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I would love to grow some palms, and might need to investigate what exactly they need.
Luckily I still have a while before we actually buy some land here, so having babies in pots is perfect!
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
2 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
Getting closer to seeing if it's a palm or weed!

[Image: edyB0pw.jpg]
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Not what I was hoping for  Thumbs Down

This looks more like a seedling of Caesalpinia, (seedlings 10 a penny in my garden) which is a lovely plant in itself but not the palm I was hoping for. Back to waiting and watching ......

[Image: ht6qvWX.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Growing Fruit Trees on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 27 1,876 26-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Growing Orchids on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 26 2,858 26-05-2021, 11:30 PM
  Palms and Bougainvillea Tropical Palms Gary 4 424 19-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Davew
  Growing Pineapples on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 30 5,354 17-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Growing Mangoes on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 11 1,494 11-09-2020, 10:47 PM