This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
gulls

Gulls
We have lived in a couple of coastal locations in The UK, where gulls are a major pest, even when we lived in Cheltenham because of the proximity of The Severn they were a pest there, here, at least in Caleta I see very few gulls anywhere, except at this time of year when  there are flocks of them all heading North up to as many as 50/60 birds at a time go over our house, now I am aware that some species of gull are migratory, so it is not surprising, however I never/rarely see any heading South, anyone any thoughts on where they go to?
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
This doesn't answer your question John, but thought it might be of interest:

http://www.realbirder.com/FuerteventuraSpeciesList.htm

https://www.surfbirds.com/ID%20Articles/...gulls.html
2 users say Thank You to MLA for this post
Reply Quote
(01-05-2019, 01:30 PM)MLA Wrote: This doesn't answer your question John, but thought it might be of interest:

http://www.realbirder.com/FuerteventuraSpeciesList.htm

https://www.surfbirds.com/ID%20Articles/...gulls.html

Indeed, many thanks, Martin.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(01-05-2019, 10:21 AM)Johnrgby Wrote: We have lived in a couple of coastal locations in The UK, where gulls are a major pest, even when we lived in Cheltenham because of the proximity of The Severn they were a pest there, here, at least in Caleta I see very few gulls anywhere, except at this time of year when  there are flocks of them all heading North up to as many as 50/60 birds at a time go over our house, now I am aware that some species of gull are migratory, so it is not surprising, however I never/rarely see any heading South, anyone any thoughts on where they go to?

Perhaps they all like Cheltenham so much when they get there that they can't be bothered to fly South again ?

I've notice a similar thing with swallows in the spring - hardly ever see them return in the autumn.

They may well take a different return route due to the direction of prevailing winds.
The Straights of Gibraltar is a favoured crossing point for many migrating birds in the Autumn, so could be that the return leg is over Morroco, then down on through Mauritania, The Gambia etc.
3 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
(14-05-2019, 01:31 PM)Gone Fishing Wrote:
(01-05-2019, 10:21 AM)Johnrgby Wrote: We have lived in a couple of coastal locations in The UK, where gulls are a major pest, even when we lived in Cheltenham because of the proximity of The Severn they were a pest there, here, at least in Caleta I see very few gulls anywhere, except at this time of year when there are flocks of them all heading North up to as many as 50/60 birds at a time go over our house, now I am aware that some species of gull are migratory, so it is not surprising, however I never/rarely see any heading South, anyone any thoughts on where they go to?

Perhaps they all like Cheltenham so much when they get there that they can't be bothered to fly South again ?

I've notice a similar thing with swallows in the spring - hardly ever see them return in the autumn.

They may well take a different return route due to the direction of prevailing winds.
The Straights of Gibraltar is a favoured crossing point for many migrating birds in the Autumn, so could be that the return leg is over Morroco, then down on through Mauritania, The Gambia etc.

While Cheltenham is a nice town and a very nice place to live, If I were a gull { "which I thank the lord I,m not Sir" } I would avoid it like the plague as they have a small team of people searching for and destroying Gull eggs Rolleyes Smile Smile Smile
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote