This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
opens project arrecife marina

New project opens at Arrecife marina
Noticias:

An iconic project devised by César Manrique embellishes the marina of Arrecife.

The Islet of Fermina opens to the public this Monday in the capital of Lanzarote in a unique and privileged space.

From this Monday, January 30, all citizens of Lanzarote will be able to access freely and free of charge the Islet of Fermina, a unique and privileged space of the marina of Arrecife designed by César Manrique, which has been paralyzed for more than two decades by different circumstances.

The marina of Arrecife, in this way becomes one of the most attractive of the archipelago and the islet comes to complete a walk where El Charco de San Ginés, the beach of El Reducto, and the avenues complete an enviable route.

The Islet of Fermina, whose official inauguration took place this Saturday afternoon, with the presence of some of the main insular authorities, civil and military, will initially have only the service of a cafeteria with a terrace of more than one hundred meters that will be open from 10.00 to 17.00 hours every day of the week.
The space, designed in the seventies of the last century by Manrique, also has a viewpoint, a swimming pool that is not yet available for use, a solarium, multipurpose rooms, access for bathing in the sea and toilet area.

The facilities of the Islet of Fermina will be managed by the Tourist Centers based on the agreement signed between the Cabildo de Lanzarote and the City Council of Arrecife, the latter institution that has the administrative concession of the space.

The Islet of Fermina "in the near future will host a water sports center and an exhibition hall and cultural activities, in addition to the UN Climate Change Observatory," according to a press release from the island corporation.
The president of the Cabildo, Dolores Corujo, said yesterday at the official opening ceremony that the opening of this space is "a sign that good results are achieved for the general interest when there is understanding between the administrations." For her part, the first mayor of Arrecife, Astrid Pérez, also said in her speech that "returning to the capital this space that will allow nautical leisure linked to the sustainability of the sea, technological innovation and talent, but that will also serve as an important vehicle of social and commercial dynamization, was one of my objectives as Mayor. "

The president also thanked the workers of the Tourist Centers "who will manage this space with the experience and knowledge accumulated after more than half a century taking care of the work of César Manrique."

The music of the wind quartet "Atlántico" served to welcome the attendees to the event that culminated with the performance of the group of the International Dance Center of Tenerife and a cocktail enlivened by Nandi Paredes. 
link to article for pics
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
It’s a wonderful attraction and in a lot of ways illustrates the difference between Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. It’s really down to one person. The legend that is, Cesar Manrique, whose influence and footprint is still everywhere to be seen on the island. The Inhabitants have a pride that’s sorely missing in Fuerteventura but it befits the memory of Manrique perfectly. One thing that stands out are the magnificent white painted villages doted around the island and the pride people have in their well kept properties and gardens. In contrast you have the multi coloured hotchpotch dwellings on Fuerteventura. A sight that often makes your eyes sore.
If you have ever driven through the wine region La Geria in Lanzarote then you will feel that pride, oozing out of the landscape. It’s a shame the two islands, so close, have evolved and developed so differently. Just look at the main drag in Corralejo or the hideous blots on the landscape of El Cotillo. An opportunity has been missed on the island of Fuerteventura and that is a great shame.
1 user says Thank You to Joy Division for this post
Each to their own, I guess. 

First of all, yes, some of the decisions made here have been awful.

But I was over in Lanzarote at the weekend. And personally I prefer the less populous, rough-around-the-edges surf culture of FV to the manicured Lanzarote, which reminds me a lot of Mallorca. All a little too 'nice' for my liking.   

But as I say, each to their own tastes!
3 users say Thank You to Bill for this post
If that’s the scene you’re into then unfortunately you missed out. You obviously didn’t drive far enough North. Famara has an incredible stretch of beach that beats the close out back snapping beach of El Cotillo on any day and you’re not competing with the half a dozen surf schools that turn up on Cotillo beach every day. The village itself has that rough around the edges vibe you are seeking. In fact with its unmade roads, it resembles El Cotillo back in its glory days.
There’s a surf culture here that is a little bit more authentic than the wannabe ‘cool’ surfers you see walking barefoot on the overcrowded, traffic filled roads in Lajares.
And if you had driven a little bit South of Famara you would have come across the village called La Santa which consistently boasts World Class waves and surfers to match. It attracts the very best surfers in the Canaries and from the rest of Europe.
1 user says Thank You to Joy Division for this post
Travelled through Lanzarote; not my cup of tea; way too proper, too organized, like a huge park. Would be horrible if the roughness and wildness of Fuerteventura would endure the same artificial influence. It's already a shame Fuerteventura has a certain ambition, to be like Lanzarote, of course with a Corralejo or Costa Calma effect. It's hurting my heart and eyes, to see El Cotillo change into a consumer only village, the mutilations of the old harbour, the old houses and surroundings, the former ruin at Puntilla completely wrong restored, the 'cleaning' of plants at the coasts, etc. Anyway..
3 users say Thank You to Volcano for this post
There are of course nice parts of LZ, I'd have been amazed if there weren't! But you were talking at a macro level about the islands and their culture, and I was responding to that. Like I say, each to their own.
2 users say Thank You to Bill for this post
Just giving you a couple of tips for your next trip. No need to thank me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GC opens first floating wind turbine in Spain TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 414 20-03-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya