Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
predictions island

Predictions for the island
Whilst I know it would be wrong to talk a specific businesses.  Fuerteventura relies heavily
on tourism.  Assuming this goes on for at least another 6 months.   How can businesses survive?
What are peoples predictions for the future?  Hate the thought of empty shops bars restaurants and
even hotels.  I'm hopeful next summer will be a boom for tourism and some sort of bounce back happens
3 users say Thank You to Si Tie for this post
Reply Quote
From what I've gathered, everyone on the island is eyeing the winter season. If there won't be any tourists, many businesses will go belly-up, IMO. Everyone will struggle, not just the hotels or restaurants. Almost every family on the island depens on tourism in one way or another.

I'm usually very optimistic person and try to find the positive side in any outcome...sorry for painting such a dark future. Undecided
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
If the situation eases by Christmas, the long term forecast will be reasonably good if it goes on another six months. IE. past Easter 2021 it will be very bleak IMHO.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
1 user says Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
The future looks very bleak.  There'll be a lot of closures over the coming months.
Many residents/workers were already low paid or were on **** hours/temporary contracts, so very few people will not be able to manage without work or on a low ERTE (furlough) rate.
1 user says Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
I predict a tough six months ahead for Fuerte, a vaccine IF one is successful will take time to roll out so best bet is airport Antigen testing.

I believe there will be a huge appetite for trave next year especiallyl April 2021 onwards but governments, public health bodies & airlines are going to have to pull & work together to make it happen safely

From an Irish perspective, I don't think there are actually any flights to the Canaries this winter, they have been cancelled, mainly due to there being a 14 day quarantine / restrict your movements on return
1 user says Thank You to Fizzy Lemonade for this post
Reply Quote
Sadly with the current development in Europe it looks like the winter season is going to be lost for Fuerteventura  Cry

Everything seems to tighten up again with increasing numbers of cases, and people are afraid to book since airlines are going bankrupt, and restrictions that makes travel insurance and so on unusable..
1 user says Thank You to trex for this post
Reply Quote
(16-10-2020, 08:08 PM)Fizzy Lemonade Wrote: I predict a tough six months ahead for Fuerte, a vaccine IF one is successful will take time to roll out so best bet is airport Antigen testing.

I believe there will be a huge appetite for trave next year especiallyl April 2021 onwards but governments, public health bodies & airlines are going to have to pull & work together to make it happen safely

From an Irish perspective, I don't think there are actually any flights to the Canaries this winter, they have been cancelled, mainly due to there being a 14 day quarantine / restrict your movements on return

Ryanair have cut back from 3 to 2 flights a week, but at this time are currently planning to operate Tuesday and Saturday flights until at least the end of the year. 

Depending on what shakes out today with the Level 5 restrictions, however, that may not continue.
1 user says Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
(17-10-2020, 12:06 PM)Ducks Wrote:
(16-10-2020, 08:08 PM)Fizzy Lemonade Wrote: I predict a tough six months ahead for Fuerte, a vaccine IF one is successful will take time to roll out so best bet is airport Antigen testing.

Ryanair have cut back from 3 to 2 flights a week, but at this time are currently planning to operate Tuesday and Saturday flights until at least the end of the year. 

Depending on what shakes out today with the Level 5 restrictions, however, that may not continue.

Ok, fair enough but with flights only with Ryanair out of DUB,  Aer Lingus have zero to Fuerteventura it seems, many at  €30/€40 I have to assume that interest is low but hopefully if they start to roll out a vaccine in Q1 2021 alongside European wide antigen testing at airports, I'd be hopeful of an reasonable late Spring / Summer season for Fuerteventura

We've 11 nights September 2021, moved from this year that I'm very positive will happen but another 7-10 nights to book for maybe June but I'll hold off for a while, see how thing play out over the next while
1 user says Thank You to Fizzy Lemonade for this post
Reply Quote
The island (Fuerteventura) is very dependent on 2 or 3 airlines, (mostly Ryanair) ,, so a lot will depend on how flights pan out going forward. 

Some bars will be in big trouble, No tourists = No Customers ,, some will close never to come back.

Some bars might have local trade,, second homers & semi retired will keep them open / going,, ( Stoners or Zanzibar kind of thing) and will survive.
I can see this pandemic still being with us through in next Jan & Feb ,, so who knows how things will go....
1 user says Thank You to Ray for this post
Reply Quote
I went in to Corralejo last Monday evening to eat at La Taberna with friends, great meal and all outside tables were occupied - it was far too hot to sit inside! We then went on to a bar for a last drink before heading home. Apparently it was opening night! Strange name, something like OgaOga? Where Gordon Ramseys (not quite the right name but similar!) used to be. According to my friends the owner also has 3 or 4 other large bars in Corralejo, so business is not bad for everyone! This place was not my taste - too loud, slow service, small measures (inc my coffee) and large prices - I won't be going back. It was a complete contrast to La Taberna where we were made to feel so welcome as locals and I don't mind the prices because the food and service is so wonderful.

Although a number of places haven't yet reopened I'm surprised by the number of people that are out and about in hospitality venues. And by the dearth of parking places in Corralejo you'd think it was high season!

Personally I have no desire to travel at the moment. I've rearranged my visit to the UK from this Oct to next but I'm not counting on it! I'm not even doing my normal quick trips to the other islands. I've even been keeping my distance from the few friends who have come here from the UK/Europe - we don't meet up until they've been here at least 10 days. I'd be happy with no tourists/second homers coming to FV unless they quarantined on arrival but I totally understand the need for them to come for the economy and all associated matters. Just glad that I live somewhere that I can isolate myself if I want to.

I reckon the island won't see much of an upswing until Summer 2021 and that's if a vaccine is available AND there is a good take up of it! I'll be very happy to be proved wrong  Fingers Crossed
Living my dream
6 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote