This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
private residency healthcare

Private Healthcare for Residency
Hello! We have just exchanged contracts on a villa here. We will be in Lajares 😊 Very exciting! We are moving from UK and will need to apply for residency. My husband Bill has EU passport which means we do not need NLV. We know we need private healthcare and are currently looking at Sanitas. Has anyone got experience of using them or have any other recommendations? Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks ... Kris
1 user says Thank You to Kris for this post
Reply Quote
We use Mapfre Health insurance:

https://www.mapfre.es/insurance/

Clinica Brisimar & Clinica Parque in Corralejo both accept Mapfre

Hospital Parque and CEM in Puerto are also registered with Mapfre
3 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
Thank you, could I ask have you found accessing healthcare straight forwards with them? Did you use them for residency? Many thanks Kris
1 user says Thank You to Kris for this post
Reply Quote
(15-06-2022, 08:58 PM)Kris Wrote: Thank you, could I ask have you found accessing healthcare straight forwards with them? Did you use them for residency? Many thanks Kris

Mapfre provides what looks like a credit card that you hand over when you visit a clinic or the private hospital.  If you need something like an MRI scan or an operation etc, you might have to request authorisation from Mapfre.  They now have English speaking staff.

We used them for residency but we are now also registered with the Canarian Health Service.  When we first moved out here our private health care was with Aseca who were taken over by Mapfre.  This entailed visiting Aseca’s office in Puerto del Rosario where a man smoking a cigarette entered all our information on a typewriter and was not interested in any previous health conditions! Those were the days.

In 2016 I had a minor operation at Hospital Parque.  The operation went well and the nursing staff were good but the food was worse than the general hospital!

When you do your yearly Spanish tax return, you can claim back as an expense your health insurance, private doctors and dental fees. I was told earlier this week that all payments should now be by credit card or direct debit.
3 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
Thank you so much - that is very helpful. I do like the report of the man taking your details smoking a cigarette!!!!  Big Grin
2 users say Thank You to Kris for this post
Reply Quote
I don't think you can claim back ALL of your medical expenses. Our accountant claims back 10% for us.  

Tom.
2 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
There is an interesting article in Canarias 7 today about health insurance requirements in Spain for foreigners,EU and others.
There is also a click on and although it is a subtle advertisement it is also quite informative

Edit by Tamara to add link:
Canarias7 - private healthcare
4 users say Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need a van for rent, private Mobro 1 1,056 23-02-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom