This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
card use fuerteventura possibly revolut best

Revolut - possibly the best card to use in Fuerteventura
I just had a reminder on my phone about another payment leaving my Revolut account - our monthly maintenance.
Yep, as I've mentioned this earlier (in another thread), we have managed to get rid of traditional bank account on the island and are using Revolut only. Still not having DD set with the Ayuntamiento but that's "due to the old system" they're running in Antigua. I'm sure we'll sort this out too in the future.

We weren't happy about the fees we had to pay for the privilege of keeping our Money with Sabadell. We might be just spoiled by the banks in the UK paying us for Banking with them but we simply didn't feel the need for having a traditional Spanish bank account any more.

Anyway, I felt like Revolut deserves a tread where we can keep all the info anyone who's looking to drop their bank can ask any questions.

A couple of downsides: No FSCS protection - although your funds are stored at a segregated account at Barclays) and you can withdraw for free only £200 per month. A better option could be to look at Starling Bank.

Additional info:

Had a look around and found a (possibly referral) link from a website called Gratisfaction UK. If you follow their link and go through the whole registration process (and top up £10) you'll get a credit of £1.50 plus free postage for your new Revolut card. Not sure how much Gratisfaction is getting paid (if  they get paid at all) but I just thought it's a nice welcome and it definitely won't hurt.

Code:
https://www.revolut.com/?&p=i2&ext=1412079_Gratisfaction%20UK

If you prefer NOT to use the referral link simply go to:
Code:
www.revolut.com

...and pay for the postage yourself or wait for a couple of months and they will offer a free postage through the app - that was my case.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
As mentioned in the OP, one of the downsides having Revolut is the amount you can withdraw from an ATM - 200£ for the fee free account users. We still manage without going over the limit due to using the card to pay most of our shopping. There's another trick from the banks now - charging for withdraws unless you're getting Money out of ATM owned by the bank you are having an account with.

Here's a really short list of Spanish banks that shouldn't be charging for withdrawals from their ATM.

ATMs to use:

Arquia Banca (as of Jul 2019 with MC)
Banca March free with Visa as of Nov 2019
Bank Inter (as of May 2019, but apparently now with fees)
CaixaBank (as of Aug 2019 with Visa when selecting Checking account)
Cajamar (as of Dec 2018 when selecting "Creditcard", but a 1.85€ fee since then!)
Deutsche Bank (as of Apr 2019)
ING (as of Oct 2017, but fees as of Jun 2019 with Visa)
La Caixa (as of Dec 2018 with Visa, but fees of 2 EUR with MC as of Mar 2019!)

ATMs to AVOID:

Liberbank (as of Dec 2017)

Telebanco (as of July 2017)

UniCaja (with MC as of Mar 2019)

Sabadell (1.80 EUR with MC)

Bankia (2 EUR with MC)

Targobank (2 EUR fee)

BBVA (1.87 EUR fee)

Banco Popular (1.95 EUR with MC)

EDIT: To confirm the free withdrawals using BankaMarch.

EDIT: Just created a new thread with all (known to me) locations of Banca march ATM's.
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
I was looking to open an account with Sabadell when next over, for the convenience of paying monthly costs on our soon to be purchased property - is it easier enough to run a Revolut account to do this, say transfer in a few hundred Euros per month, set up DD's, make a simple BACS payment etc and leave a bit of spare cash to draw from the ATM when on the Island? It sounds a lot better than a conventional bank account.
3 users say Thank You to Jason W for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Sam. This thread is of interest to me so please keep up the info. 

I was also sick of paying Sabadell so last year moved elsewhere. But I am seriously considering Revolut as a further option in due course.

How do you set up a DD with Revolut ? What is in place of the IBAN number ? 

Like you, issues around cash withdrawals are of less interest to me than the ability to fund the account electronically and then to pay all the usual bills electronically. I am in La Oliva so wonder if my council has the same legacy systems as Antigua preventing council tax payments from Revolut ?

I suppose the only time an issue might arise would be selling / buying a property but that’s hardly a daily occurrence. Are there any other times when the authorities require non-residents to have a traditional bank account rather than one of these new digital payment methods ?

Thanks for any info.
3 users say Thank You to FVmouse for this post
Reply Quote
(14-08-2019, 01:05 PM)Jason W Wrote: I was looking to open an account with Sabadell when next over, for the convenience of paying monthly costs on our soon to be purchased property - is it easier enough to run a Revolut account to do this, say transfer in a few hundred Euros per month, set up DD's, make a simple BACS payment etc and leave a bit of spare cash to draw from the ATM when on the Island? It sounds a lot better than a conventional bank account.

Jason, first of all, Revolut is free and you can open an account from the comfort of your home. If you won't like it or if it won't work for you as you've expected, open an account with Sabadell a bit later. It's really worth a try.

To set DD with Antiqua is still NO-NO but I'll keep trying.
The rest is easy, sending payments, exchange, paying in the shops or restaurants, etc all same as with any other bank. I really like how fast I get Money from my UK bank to Revolut too.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
(14-08-2019, 01:18 PM)FVmouse Wrote: Thanks Sam. This thread is of interest to me so please keep up the info. 

I was also sick of paying Sabadell so last year moved elsewhere. But I am seriously considering Revolut as a further option in due course.

How do you set up a DD with Revolut ? What is in place of the IBAN number ? 

Like you, issues around cash withdrawals are of less interest to me than the ability to fund the account electronically and then to pay all the usual bills electronically. I am in La Oliva so wonder if my council has the same legacy systems as Antigua preventing council tax payments from Revolut ?

I suppose the only time an issue might arise would be selling / buying a property but that’s hardly a daily occurrence. Are there any other times when the authorities require non-residents to have a traditional bank account rather than one of these new digital payment methods ?

Thanks for any info.

Oliva is running the new system already and to set the DD you would have to pop to your Council or possibly to do online if you have your Digital Certificate but I'm not sure about the second route. Tamara or Cotillo Tom would probably know an answer to that.

Using Revolut when selling/buying a property could be an issue but any bank will be more than happy to open an account for the sale to scrape some fees of the sum.
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(14-08-2019, 02:03 PM)Sam Wrote: Oliva is running the new system already and to set the DD you would have to pop to your Council or possibly to do online if you have your Digital Certificate but I'm not sure about the second route. Tamara or Cotillo Tom would probably know an answer to that.

Sorry, can't add anything here as my DDs were in place before I got my Digital Certificate.

Interesting thread Sam.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(14-08-2019, 10:15 AM)Sam Wrote: I just had a reminder on my phone about another payment leaving my Revolut account - our monthly maintenance.
Yep, as I've mentioned this earlier (in another thread), we have managed to get rid of traditional bank account on the island and are using Revolut only. Still not having DD set with the Ayuntamiento but that's "due to the old system" they're running in Antigua. I'm sure we'll sort this out too in the future.

We weren't happy about the fees we had to pay for the privilege of keeping our money with Sabadell. We might be just spoiled by the banks in the UK paying us for banking with them but we simply didn't feel the need for having a traditional Spanish bank account any more.

Anyway, I felt like Revolut deserves a tread where we can keep all the info anyone who's looking to drop their bank can ask any questions.

We have an online account with BBVA, totally free. Only downside is there is no branch in Caleta. Still, a trip to Gran Tarajal, PDR or Corralejo means a good excuse for a meal out.
3 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
(15-08-2019, 07:16 AM)TrickyFox Wrote: We have an online account with BBVA, totally free. Only downside is there is no branch in Caleta. Still, a trip to Gran Tarajal, PDR or Corralejo means a good excuse for a meal out.

Totally free for residents, TF. Wink
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
(15-08-2019, 08:25 AM)Sam Wrote:
(15-08-2019, 07:16 AM)TrickyFox Wrote: We have an online account with BBVA, totally free. Only downside is there is no branch in Caleta. Still, a trip to Gran Tarajal, PDR or Corralejo means a good excuse for a meal out.

Totally free for residents, TF.  Wink

I did wonder - I admit I hadn't checked
3 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rebellion Pay - prepaid card Sam 2 4,126 16-07-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Sam
  N26 - another card option for Fuerteventura? GMT 11 7,028 16-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Sam