This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
No email after registration? Check your spam folder please. If it's not there, contact us at click@fuerteventura.click

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average

[-]
Tags
fuerteventura woodland

The only woodland in Fuerteventura
If you are bored of going to the beach every single day it might be a good idea to have a BBQ or picnic in the woods - not sure if woods is the right word though.

To find this place isn't that difficult once you know where to look.

Our starting point is Betancuria - once the capital of the Kingdom of the Canary Islands (for about 20 years) and later the capital of Fuerteventura (over 400 years). Anyway, once in Betancuria you want to leave using the FV30 in the direction to Pajara

Driving downhill for a few hundred yards you'll see a track on your left with a little bit of white wall - see the first pic.

Now simply follow the track for about 15 minutes and you'll end up in the "woodland" - second pic.

There's BBQ facility on site as well as clean toilets.  

The trees were planted in the time around WW2 as an experiment to find out if commercial forestry was viable. The location itself isn't a bad choice because it's one of the rainiest place in Fuerteventura. You'll be able to see the result of the experiment on your own. I guess 80 years trees should looks a bit bigger, especially if you're planning to use them for a business.

Bear in mind the pic was taken three years ago and the trees could be one inch higher now Big Grin
I Heart Fuerteventura
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
It doesn't usually look that green.  The locals use it a lot for birthday parties.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Looking at that storm drain they must expect it to pour down now and again!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to zedzedeleven for this post
Reply Quote
(31-10-2018, 11:46 PM)Captain Sensible Wrote: It doesn't usually look that green.  The locals use it a lot for birthday parties.

Took the picture in February, that was the greenest I can remember. Never seen there any birthday party but one or couple of families over the weekend. Nice and quiet place though.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
Isn't this very near to the place that you go to get your trees on the Day of The Tree?  I think Steve CS or Tamara if she is a member here will know.

If so it is a lovely area and you can combine getting your free trees and having a picnic lunch in the woods.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Perrypower1 for this post
Reply Quote
That is certainly a new destination to visit Smile Smile
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
[+] 2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
Been there a few times, very nice relaxed place to have a picnic.  Thumbs Up
I need a six month vacation twice a year Cool
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Mia for this post
Reply Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:34 AM)Perrypower1 Wrote: Isn't this very near to the place that you go to get your trees on the Day of The Tree?  I think Steve CS or Tamara if she is a member here will know.

If so it is a lovely area and you can combine getting your free trees and having a picnic lunch in the woods.

Hi Perrypower - good to see you on here.
I get my free plants/trees from the municipal nursery in La Oliva so I'm not sure of the Betancuria location for it.
I'll keep my eyes out for the info regarding this year's offer (hopefully) and post it on here as soon as.
Living my dream
[+] 3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:02 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 11:34 AM)Perrypower1 Wrote: Isn't this very near to the place that you go to get your trees on the Day of The Tree?  I think Steve CS or Tamara if she is a member here will know.

Hi Perrypower - good to see you on here.
I get my free plants/trees from the municipal nursery in La Oliva so I'm not sure of the Betancuria location for it.
I'll keep my eyes out for the info regarding this year's offer (hopefully) and post it on here as soon as.

Perry - it is just further along the track from the Betancuria Nursery where they issue free trees and plants.  I haven't seen any information about free plants in La Oliva/Betancuria as yet this year. It's usually associated with the Day of the Tree - Dia del Arbol
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuerteventura Football - Fixtures and Results 2019/20 Captain Sensible 1 236 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Captain Sensible
  Fuerteventura En Musica in El Cotillo on 5 & 6 July 2019 Captain Sensible 11 727 08-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Johnrgby
  What's your favourite beach in Fuerteventura? bedouin 25 2,406 26-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Magoo
  Fuerteventura Football - Fixtures and Results 2018/19 Captain Sensible 85 4,770 30-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Fuerteventura Book Fair 2019 (La Feria Insular del Libro) Sam 0 421 18-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Sam