This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
fuerteventura patient story zero

The story of patient zero in Fuerteventura.
On Saturday, March 6, Laura, 28, received a call. On the other end of the phone, they confirmed that his COVID-19 Coronavirus test was positive. She had caught it weeks before on a trip to Italy. Laura thus became the 'zero' patient with Coronavirus in Fuerteventura. Until then, the Island had been gaining the pulse of a virus that has spread to more than a million people worldwide.

Laura is a peninsular, but she has lived in Fuerteventura for three years. She works at one of the hotels in a tourist area. Last February, the young woman decided to take a few weeks off to visit a sister, from Erasmus in Pisa. From there, she planned to move by train to Bergamo to meet her partner, of Italian origin, and spend a few days with her in-laws.

Mid-February arrived the time for holiday. On the 17th she took the plane to Pisa. Upon landing, they took her temperature. The thermometer confirmed that Laura was healthy and with a backpack full of plans to enjoy the trip.

After spending a few days in the city of Pisa, she travelled to Bergamo. In Italy, the COVID-19 epidemic was already making headlines. However, the Italians continued to lead normal lives. The call to confinement had not yet come.

Laura explains to this newspaper, through a phone call, how cases were appearing in the Lombardy area at the time, especially in Milan, but “it was not alarming because it seemed that things were under control. There was still no law preventing people from going outside or going to work. For example, we went skiing and the slopes were full of people. There were many children, because it coincided with the week of Carnival there ”.

The first cases of the Coronavirus pandemic in Italy were confirmed on January 30, when two Chinese tourists tested positive in Rome. A week later, an Italian man repatriated from Wuhan to Italy tested positive. On February 21, 16 cases were confirmed in Lombardy. The next day, the first deaths came.

A few weeks later, Italy ended up becoming the second country in the world, after the United States, hardest hit by the COVID-19. Now it is the third with more infections, behind also Spain.

On February 25, Laura returned to Fuerteventura. She was well and ready to return to her job, and she did so. “I arrived without symptoms. I was fine, but a couple of days passed and I started to feel a dry throat and a little pain when swallowing. I was like this for two or three days, ”she says.

Fever and cough, the most common symptoms of COVID-19, had not appeared. Luck made those days that Laura had to do her work in one of the hotel offices, in front of the computer and with hardly any contact with colleagues and clients.

The symptoms continued without going any further. On March 2, Laura went to the health centre for a blood test that she had planned for a long time. There, she found a building with posters on the walls that put her on notice. In them, it was recommended that, if you had been in risk areas such as China and Italy and felt symptoms, you should report it to the health personnel and quarantine.

The next day, at night, Laura had a fever spike. She took a paracetamol and got it down. In the morning, the thermometer again exceeded 38 degrees. She called the hotel and decided to stay home. The shadow of the COVID-19 began to haunt her head. It was, then, when she decided to call 112 to come to do the test and thus rule out that she could be infected.

Laura has good words for the Canary Health Service and the way in which they acted on those days. "The doctor, who contacted me, took the address to bring me food because I was right at home and could not leave," she says. When they came to collect the sample, the health workers presented themselves with a purchase to avoid Laura having to go to the supermarket.

During those days, Laura had a slight fever, but not a cough. She never had it. Yes the loss of smell. Before the studies linking this symptom to the Coronavirus came out, the young woman realized that she was unable to smell. She talks about how when she cooked she had to get very close to the food because "it didn't smell, she put on perfumes and she didn't smell them, but at that time she didn't associate it with that."

Testing positive

Two days after collecting the sample, she was told that the test was inconclusive and that a second test had to be done. It was Friday, the 5th. The young woman was already without symptoms.

On Saturday the final result arrived, it was positive. Laura became the first case of Coronavirus in Fuerteventura. A few hours later, the press was reported and the Island was holding its breath. The fear of new cases worried everyone.

Laura was not afraid of illness. She is young, without previous pathologies and, if she followed the medical recommendations, nothing could go wrong. Yes fear and remorse of having infected someone.

She had to communicate the results to her co-workers. Her closest people were quarantined, but luckily they were all negative. Also her partner, who changed address. "What worried me the most was to tell my colleagues that, because of me, they couldn't live a normal life and had to stay home," she says.

Days later, all Spaniards stopped living normal lives. They learned to call the virus by its first and last name and started up their wits to see who came up with the most original meme with which to get a smile in times of confinement. The applause came to the heroes on the balconies and the saucepans for those who did not measure up. Also the yearnings of an entire country to see the curve of contagion and deaths flatten.

Laura lived the quarantine, isolated at home, and listening to how the cases of COVID-19 soared throughout Spain; how the death curve did not flatten; how the World Health Organization announced the pandemic and how new positives were appearing in Fuerteventura. Two weeks after the first results, two tests confirmed that the young woman was cured.

The epidemiological discharge arrived and, soon after, the medical discharge. The news made its way to the press on March 19. That day all the majoreros celebrated Laura's discharge from their homes.
She wants to tell her story to call for calm, send a message of optimism and, above all, to encourage people to continue to respect the rules and continue to stay at home.

“Now what is in our hands is to stay at home. We don't have to be selfish and think about ourselves. Above all, we must bear in mind that, through our fault, someone very old or with health problems can get it ”.

After the illness, she had to live another quarantine. The same that the rest of the Spanish have while waiting for new confinement orders or the announcement that the COVID-19 war has been won.

Luckily, her house has a terrace from which to enjoy the sun every day. Take advantage of the 20 minutes you dedicate to the week to go to the supermarket to “breathe the air of Fuerteventura”.

The message that comes out of all this is that "prevention is better than cure". Before saying goodbye, she insists that "the most important thing is to take care of others and think more about them than about us." End the call with joy. The sun on your terrace awaits you.

Courtesy of Diario de Fuerteventura.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I Heart Fuerteventura
6 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
How brave of her to go public! I'm so glad she has recovered and so thankful she acted how she did in the early days, her actions might have saved many lives here. Well done Laura.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Another story, this time about one year old boy named Lucas:

Lucas is only one year old, but he already knows what it is to be a VIP tourist. When he arrived at the hotel, he received toys all over the room, he woke up with a good morning message from the director and he had all the facilities to himself. Things of being a guest in times of quarantine and having given a false negative in the tests of COVID-19.

Maite is from Extremadura (western part of Spain) and David from Asturias (northern part of Spain). They met six years ago, they have lived in Madrid for some time and whenever they can they travel to Fuerteventura in search of tranquillity and a soak on the beach.

This year they wanted the visit to be special, their son Lucas was travelling with them for the first time. The trip ended up being so special that the three of them have become protagonists of a story.

Maite, in a telephone conversation with Efe, explains the "hook" that she and her partner have with Fuerteventura, where they have travelled five times in six years. "We love the beach and its tranquillity. Madrid eats your time and on the island the minutes stop and take you to paradise," she says.

After a week of swimming, building sand castles with Lucas and dozens of photos it was time to return to Madrid, although the data and the headlines made it difficult to return to the epicentre of the COVID-19 in Spain.

Day 14 - flight back

The flight was due to depart on March 14, the same day that the Prime Minister, Pedro Sánchez, decreed a state of alarm and from Fuerteventura they were looking for solutions so that thousands of tourists could return to their country of origin as soon as possible.

The night before travelling, Lucas became upset and listless, and the thermometer confirmed to his parents that something was wrong. The boy had a fever of more than 39C.

Maite, desperate, called a paediatrician friend from Madrid, who tried to reassure her. It was the first calm message she received, more arrived. The call to 112, the activation of the COVID-19 protocol ... having come from Madrid did not help either.

On Sunday morning, two nurses arrived at the hotel of the Barceló chain in Jandía to test Lucas for the COVID-19. "At first, as the only one who had given symptoms, they were only going to do it to him, but in the end they decided to do it to me too because the tests on babies are not as exhaustive as ours," Maite explains.

Before the results came, Lucas stopped having a fever and went back to paying attention to the toys, so his mother calmed down: "We thought it had been another virus that coincided with the pandemic, so we decided to take another flight to return the Thursday to Madrid ".

But they couldn't catch that plane either. On Wednesday the results came, Maite was positive on COVID-19 and Lucas was false negative, but, he explains, "having such close contact with me that it was positive, doctors have always treated it as a positive case."

Lucas was a few days with fever, although without cough. His mother had no major symptoms. "If there were not this pandemic situation, I would have thought that mine was a flu or cold, because for me they were not strong symptoms, what I did have was a very bad headache, I have a migraine and, even so, it said 'this pain is not normal.'"

A little hero in a deserted hotel

Maite and David renamed Lucas the smallest hero in the fight against COVID-19. "He put us on alert, we had no symptoms, it was him with his fever."

Otherwise, "we would have gotten on a plane and we would have passed through the airports of Fuerteventura and Madrid, infecting people at risk to whom the disease could take its toll," says Maite, and adds: "Lucas is the smallest hero because saved people from getting it because of me. "

On March 19, the Government decreed the closure of hotels for the 26th. Little by little, the complexes of Fuerteventura were remaining silent, closing their doors and leaving curious images for the anecdote of the virus such as that of a herd of goats walking through the facilities of hotel.

Before closing, the Barceló chain proposed to the couple the possibility of changing hotels and moving to one in Caleta de Fuste, now empty, with apartments, a kind of bungalow with its own kitchen, so that they would be more comfortable and without risk of being able to infect other guests.

Maite assures that, if she remembers this trip with a smile for something, it is thanks to the hotel, its employees and its director Alfonso Girón: "Every day he sent us a good morning message asking us how we were, what we needed, he went to the supermarket and, one Sunday he even surprised us with a meal he had made with the family so that we felt at home. "

In the hotel, Barcy, the Barceló mascot in the shape of a teddy, welcomed Lucas and also laymen so that the little one felt at home and passed the disease as well as possible in a complex his parents and he were the only guests .

Amid the tranquillity of the hotel, the fears of the couple were rekindled. Lucas started having a fever again after four days without symptoms. "It was the worst moment, because nobody assured us if what was happening was normal or not," Maite explains.

The last scare

It was the hardest moment because, "as much as doctors and family members told me not to worry and that in babies there are no cases in which going beyond a viral condition makes you afraid and uncertain," she regrets.

In the end, everything was scared and Lucas recovered after going to the hospital. On March 31, the results and epidemiological discharges for Maite and Lucas arrived.

Maite's second smile is for the health personnel of the Canary Health Service for the treatment they have given her during all this time, especially for Sixto, the social worker at the health centre in the capital who became a kind of angel , bringing them food and putting at their disposal a paediatrician, Gladys, who "gave us a lot of peace of mind".

All these expressions of solidarity, "have made us love Fuerteventura more, I already feel part of it," Maite assures as she thinks about when she will be able to return to the Island.

I Heart Fuerteventura
5 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(08-04-2020, 11:25 AM)Sam Wrote: leaving curious images for the anecdote of the virus such as that of a herd of goats walking through the facilities of hotel.

Anyone have a link to this?  Big Grin

Glad people on the island have been treated so well— most of the stories I've heard elsewhere have been quite alarming, so it is nice to hear positive experiences!
2 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
(08-04-2020, 05:56 PM)Ducks Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 11:25 AM)Sam Wrote: leaving curious images for the anecdote of the virus such as that of a herd of goats walking through the facilities of hotel.

Anyone have a link to this?  Big Grin ...

If I recall correctly it was in the news about one week ago. Remember seeing the title but didn't bother to read the article.

UPDATE: Oliva Beach Hotel 24th March.

I Heart Fuerteventura
4 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
It's the second article in Diario de Fuerteventura Ducks. Hit Sam's or my link and scroll down.
2 users say Thank You to milestone11 for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks, guys. That's hilarious— really gave me a good laugh, which is sorely needed these days!
3 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
The patient, who was discharged this week(after three months), gives a plaque of thanks to the staff and Health says that "we stop this virus together"

Sergio Calvo was admitted to the Virgen de la Peña General Hospital in Fuerteventura for three months. Yesterda he returned to the centre to thank his staff for the care received.

The Canary Islands Government Health Department released Thursday images of Sergio with the staff who attended him for a long period, with the message: "We stop this virus together."

Health indicates that the patient was discharged this past Monday after he had been admitted to the Majorero hospital for ninety days and that this Thursday he returned to deliver a plaque of thanks.

"To all the staff of the Internal Medicine Service of the Virgen de la Peña General Hospital, in gratitude for their great professional, human and affection towards me", can be read on the memory plaque.

Fuerteventura has registered 45 accumulated cases since the start of the Coronavirus pandemic, without officially remaining active. During this period there has been no regret for any deaths.

Health indicates that Sergio was discharged on Monday, although in the balance of the Health Area the Island registered a patient in intensive care until Tuesday, who was discharged on Wednesday.

I Heart Fuerteventura
5 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(29-05-2020, 10:26 AM)Sam Wrote:
The patient, who was discharged this week(after three months), gives a plaque of thanks to the staff and Health says that "we stop this virus together"
What a heart warming conclusion to an awful story. It seems Sergio was lucky to have made it at all.
5 users say Thank You to milestone11 for this post
Reply Quote
Sergio Calvo spent 33 days in the Intensive Medicine Unit (UMI) and more than two and a half months admitted to the General Hospital of Fuerteventura fighting against the Coronavirus after catching the virus on a trip to the Basque Country. On two occasions, they told his family that he was about to die.

The previous pathologies and the harshness of a virus that every day surprises with its behaviour did not play in its favour. In the end, Sergio ended up giving the lunge to the COVID-19. "The UMI workers saved my life," he says.

Sergio's story has long been linked to hospitals. For five years, she had to fight with Social Security to have her medical leave recognized. In the end, it was a judge who agreed with her.

As he fought in the courts, his body continued to face another battle, that of his own health. This 62-year-old man adds several cardiac, pulmonary and trauma pathologies to his medical history. He has three herniated discs, two attached to the medulla.

Due to his complicated health, he is advised not to enter the operating room. Still, he refuses to stay home to watch life go by. Together with his wife, he scheduled a trip to Irún, in Guipúzcoa, in March. The state of alarm for the health pandemic had not yet arrived. The initial plan was to spend 15 days there and see friends with whom he had not met for three years.

Sergio believes it was a woman, who sat next to him and who claimed to have the flu, who infected him. After the first symptoms appeared, the couple decided to advance their trip to the Island. "Thank God I went to Fuerteventura because if I had stayed in Bilbao I would die," she says.

Upon arriving in Fuerteventura, he went to the hospital. He was told to isolate himself in separate rooms, he, his wife, and his son. He barely remembers how that week was confined at home, “he was already gone. My son told me to go to the hospital, but I wanted to listen to the doctor and stay home. "

However, there came a time when the Coronavirus was not willing to continue giving more truce. "I felt very bad and with a high fever," he explains. They called the GP and the ambulance came. "I remember going down the stairs of my house, but nothing else, not even having entered the ambulance," he says.

On April 1, he entered the Hospital of Fuerteventura. His memory fails him to compose the rest of the hospital story: when he went to the IMU, when he was intubated, he does not remember the hard fight he waged against COVID-19 either. He does know that he was 23 days cased.

On two occasions, “the doctors told my wife and my son to prepare because he was going to die. My kidneys failed, I had them below 30 percent, ”he says.

Nightmares at the UMI

During the time he was in the UMI, he remembers that he woke up once and they put him back to sleep because “he was sick and so he wouldn't suffer. He had nightmare after nightmare while sedated. At no time did I think I was in the Fuerteventura Hospital, I thought I was in fictitious hospitals. They were tremendous wacko. ”

However, the IMU staff at the Fuerteventura Hospital were not willing for the Coronavirus to get away with it and they managed to gradually start Sergio breathing on his own.

When he woke up and could have the cell phone, he saw that he had 300 messages, but he only answered his wife and son. I wanted to convey that the nightmare was closer to ending. Once she became aware, she started making video calls from the UMI to the family.

He tells how Samuel, a nurse, made video calls for him, “I couldn't speak because of the tracheotomy, he made the video call for me with my wife and son. I don't know how, but Samuel understood me perfectly. He translated everything I was saying with a hundred percent perfection. ”

However, he still missed being able to hug his wife and son and see his daughter who was in Gran Canaria. Now the story of this patient is full of thanks to the health personnel. “The doctor Víctor Suárez from the UMI directly saved my life. He was eight hours with me non-stop, ”he recalls.

Sergio only has good words for him. He was her guardian angel during the 33 days that she remained in that unit. "Victor was jumping up and down, jumping and raising his thumbs, that made me want to keep fighting," he says excitedly.

“I want to thank him and the rest of the doctors and nurses because their effort was to get me ahead, whatever it was, and they did it. I owe my life to the entire team, "he admits.

After being in the UMI, Sergio had to continue fighting in the Internal Medicine Unit, where he was recovering from a tracheotomy and a common virus that affects people who have been intubated.

From there, he also remembers the professionalism of Dr. Palau and the rest of the health personnel at that plant. “The professionals of Fuerteventura work in a superhuman way, there is a team that important centres in Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Tenerife or Gran Canaria already want. In Fuerteventura, nobody has died from Coronavirus and it has been so because we have some great professionals. We don't deserve it. Here, a doctor has to work with the minimum of things ”, he regrets.

Now, his story is filled with complaints to politicians about the lack of will they have had to carry out health care in Fuerteventura. From his time at the UMI fighting against COVID-19, he learns a lesson: “Life must be passed day by day. We cannot think about the past or the future, we must live the present and that's it. Every second that passes is past and the future is every second that comes. I no longer worry about what I am going to do in an hour or what I am going to do tomorrow. ”

He assures that he has learned to live in a different way after going through the UMI: “I have almost died twice, once due to cardiac arrest for taking a medication to which I was allergic without knowing it and now it is, where I learned everything because I was about to die".

It also sends a message to all those people who break the rules of confinement putting the health of the rest at risk: “I had all the possible care and I fell. They think, like drivers, that accidents happen to others, but they are wrong. Do not think that you are above good and evil ”.

Now, he issues a warning "if you don't want to go through what I've been through, take precautions." On May 28, Sergio returned to the Fuerteventura Hospital. I wanted to present a plaque to the staff of the UMI and the Internal Medicine plant.

In it, it was read "for his great professional, human and affection towards me". Sergio hopes that his life from now on will be calm, he has many hotels to stay and trips to make. At the moment, they will be routes through the Canary Islands. It is time to put a "grain of sand" and support the hospitality of the Islands.

I Heart Fuerteventura
4 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote