This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
item metalworking small

Small item metalworking?
I purchased a few bits from IKEA today for hanging some curtains, and unfortunately the metal supports for the curtain wire are a bit longer than I had realised. As a result, once they're attached to the wall, the curtain will protrude very far into the room (using them to hide an open, under-stairs storage). 

I am hoping to get them altered a bit, and was wondering if anyone would know anyone or anywhere that might handle this?

I've attached a photo of the assembled and unassembled versions for easier explanation.:

Essentially, the long spike part is 7.5cm, and I would like it to be about 3cm. This would necessitate losing the threaded end that you can see in the disassembled one, but I am hoping the two pieces could be soldered together post-chop to make one shorter piece which can then be attached to the wall.

Anyone know anywhere that might be able to do this for us? We're based in Caleta, but I could visit Rosario if need be.
Reply Quote
I definitely wouldn't solder them together. Rather cut it in two and make the thread again or drill a hole into the (shortened) threaded part. It looks like 10-12mm wide so you have pretty good chance to use the spiked part because any workshop would be able to cut a new M10 or M12 thread. The thread will be much stronger than any solder in the world.
I would walk into first car repair garage or ask a maintenance guy in your complex if you have one. I don't think it's necessary to go as far as Puerto.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(24-11-2018, 08:13 PM)Sam Wrote: I definitely wouldn't solder them together. Rather cut it in two and make the thread again or drill a hole into the (shortened) threaded part. It looks like 10-12mm wide so you have pretty good chance to use the spiked part because any workshop would be able to cut a new M10 or M12 thread. The thread will be much stronger than any solder in the world.
I would walk into first car repair garage or ask a maintenance guy in your complex if you have one. I don't think it's necessary to go as far as Puerto.

Thanks for the insight about re-doing the threads! Didn't know if that would be possible without factory access.

Have a builder coming this week for something else, so I'lll ask him if he has access to something that can do it. 

Cheers!
1 user says Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
Not sure if the builder will have a die on him but he probably know someone who does. Here's a short video how easy it is if you have the right (pretty simple and common) tools.

I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Keep the threaded end and shrtens the rod by sawing off the other end. The end you saw off only has a hole and it is FAR EASIER to drill a hole than it is to cut a new thread!!

Tom.
1 user says Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
What about just cutting down the non threaded end to the length you want & re drilling through it, same as original. Only thing you would be missing is the pointy end but if it is the size Sam reckons then maybe use a 10mm copper blank end fitting to finish it off  Smile Smile
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
(24-11-2018, 09:41 PM)Cotillo_Tom Wrote: Keep the threaded end and shrtens the rod by sawing off the other end. The end you saw off only has a hole and it is FAR EASIER to drill a hole than it is to cut a new thread!!

Tom.

(24-11-2018, 09:42 PM)Spitfire58 Wrote: What about just cutting down the non threaded end to the length you want & re drilling through it, same as original. Only thing you would be missing is the pointy end but if it is the size Sam reckons then maybe use a 10mm copper blank end fitting to finish it off  Smile Smile

There's a slight possibility the finish will be different once you cut it in half. Could be some kind of alloy, completely different colour than the top coat. With a copper end it will looks like a "piece of art" Big Grin
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
Even if that is tha case then the copper “end cap” I suggested would cover this up !
Reply Quote
I think for now I am just going to mount them as-is into the ceiling and have a floor-to-ceiling curtain to hide the storage (rather than slanted along the side of the stairs). Will explore alternative options once I am home again and have more purchasing and alteration options!

Thanks, all; appreciate the variety and speed of responses. Smile
3 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote