Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
migrant crisis was bad 2006 2008

How bad was the migrant crisis in 2006-2008?
The number of migrants coming to Canary Islands is going up pretty fast and I was wondering how bad the situation was one and half decade ago. I remember reading about over 50,000 refugees at that time, can anyone share some photos/memories from this crisis, please? Fuerteventura being the closest to Africa, I would imagine this being quite an issue.

I understand that I'm opening a can of worms here and would like to ask anyone to keep the discussion civil and down to the facts, please. Will also appreciate if anyone can point me to the official data from that time. Thank you.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
I can remember being on the dunes beach in front of the RUI one time and a body being washed up, that was pretty horrific for the person involved and us. I also remember an occasion when a Guardia Civil patrol boat and a Patera collided, I'm not sure if these 2 incidents were related.
I can also remember pateras coming ashore at various places, they weren't always detected while still at sea. On one occasion we saw a small group of bedraggled people coming ashore just south of the dunes beaches, Drop beach I think it's called.

The cemetery at La Oliva has some caches dedicated to some of these migrants.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
The situation was bad at that time, Sam. I'll see if I can find any information.  The migrant detention center at El Matorral near the airport used to house a lot.
3 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Thank you both for your replies. I recall reading somewhere about one of the retention centres (not sure what island though) housing over double the amount people and to protest (and draw the attention) the refugees burned their mattresses. I can find very little information except the sensational clickbait newsletters and honestly appreciate to read about first hand experience.

To accommodate and feed 50K of hungry, homeless people over the span of three years is quite a lot for such tiny islands. Where they all gone?
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canary Islands become migration crisis' latest refugee hotspot | DW News Ray 7 832 21-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Another migrant boat off Gran Tarahal? Johnrgby 0 384 26-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Johnrgby