This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
doves bulding nest stop

How to Stop Doves Bulding a Nest
Hi - has anyone got any ideas how we can stop 2 doves building a nest on the wall light out side our lounge / dinning room?

The spikes I have put on top of the light and camera have not deterred them nor has the animal sonic deterrant Sam kindly provide for dealing with a cat.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
Wouldn't longer spikes be more helpful? I mean like 4 inch (100mm) long spikes.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Yes, you need pigeon spikes, you can buy it in lengths from ferreterias and cut to size. Also fix some ribbons just above that will flutter in the breeze, they don't like that! Good luck!
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks guys, had thought of the longer spikes but getting them at the moment an issue.

put up some reflective tape hangers but with the current little or no wind doesn't seem to be working so have covered it with an old bag so they can't get to the light so perhaps they will now look else where, like the palm trees that other doves appear to have built nests in.

John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
The birds used to roost on one of the wooden beams of our terrace, so I stretched a length of thread between a couple of nails. Soon stopped them and not an eyesore.
May work as a temp solution.
5 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
If they are still there in spite of the spikes, spray the spikes with WD40 or similar.  They can't get a grip then. They used to sit and ***** on my balcony handrail, but now they never sit there after the WD 40 treatment.
Just protect the wall behind with some card or other while spraying so it does not stain the wall.
5 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote