This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La Taberna del Capitan closing down
I have just heard this is closing on 30th June?  Is this right?  I've always loved this place one of the few almost authentic Spanish bar/restaurants in Caleta. Cry
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Is that the one opposite the main entrance to The Barcelo, Emmi ?
We went in there last time (had been once or twice before) & got up & walked out again. The waiting staff were very poor & surly. Not really a pleasant atmosphere & there was another table of 4 or 6 that had been served & given the wrong food. So maybe time for a change of owner
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
Yes it is. It has been going for 25 years.  Surprised to hear of your experience,as I have always found staff to be very obliging and good food  etc. Nice atmosphere with good mix of Spanish locals and tourists and residents.
3 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
We had a similar experience to Ron when we went on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Was quite a bit better when we went on the Ruta de al Tapa earlier this year though. There have been rumours about this closing before, especially when Fuerteventura Residences moved out of the offices next door.
3 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
I believe El Capitan in Caleta closed its doors on Sunday.  The site including the apartments is being turned
into an AI complex.  The powers that be need to realise there needs to be a balance between AI and holiday makers
who will go out and eat and drink.  Sad to see a great place to eat go
2 users say Thank You to Si Tie for this post
Reply Quote
I think you will find that the AI market in Caleta is very well used & another complex will slot in well. Quite a few have closed over the years & this is the only way a lot of families on tight budgets can have a holiday. 
Also with the number of pubs & restaurants in the town one less will help the remainder, if only in a small way. Most people on an AI holiday will still go out at least one or twice a week for meals/drinks just for a change. 
Hopefully this will be a complex owned by a small company or an individual rather than one of the big chains who I personally feel are strangling the island economy with their grip on politicians & negative legislation to restrict letting/rooms so they are the only ones able to make any Money !!!
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
I believe the complex is owned by the same group as Caleta Gdns & La Tahona.  When I last stayed in Caleta people staying in the Puerto Caleta had to go to the gardens for their meals. Needless to say there was quite a few very unhappy bunnies about.
2 users say Thank You to fatherted for this post
Reply Quote
Merged both threads about El Capitan together to keep this place tidy.

(04-07-2019, 07:57 AM)Si Tie Wrote: I believe El Capitan in Caleta closed its doors on Sunday. The site including the apartments is being turned
into an AI complex. The powers that be need to realise there needs to be a balance between AI and holiday makers
who will go out and eat and drink. Sad to see a great place to eat go

Perhaps the AI complexes are more in demand by the holidaymakers. Investors usually follow the Money Huh Huh
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
The Tirol has now become the Taberna del Capitan as the two have merged.

From their Facebook page:

This is to announce the merger of the restaurant & beerhouse to one single venue. La Taberna Del Capitan & Cerveceria Tirol multiply their bespoke forces to your pefect dinner and unforgettabe party experience in one place. La Taberna Del Capitan , the Fuerteventura cult Tapas restaurant with finest Iberian and Canarian servings combined with Austro-Alpine stew cooking, joined forced with TIROL, the alpine owned house of world beer cuture with the most opulent variety of bottled and tap beers from Germany, Belgium, Chechia , Holland , Mexico & Spain , of course !]
4 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote