Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
aborted landing

Aborted Landing
Just after midday yesterday whilst golfing we saw a plane abort its landing just after passing over Caleta and bank up round to the east, not sure which airline or where from.  Did anyone also see this and know why?
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
(22-11-2020, 09:15 AM)windermeregolfer Wrote: Just after midday yesterday whilst golfing we saw a plane abort its landing just after passing over Caleta and bank up round to the east, not sure which airline or where from.  Did anyone also see this and know why?

Yes John we were having lunch on the back terrace, and saw it, no idea why, another aircraft landed less than two minutes later, and around 9/10 minutes after that, it reappeared and landed, to be told to go around that late I assume would normally mean there is something on the runway ahead which is  either not taken off or has landed and not cleared the runway.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I emailed a friend who is a retired BA pilot, and he tells me there are a myriad of reasons, why they would abort a landing, in addition to the ones I have already suggested, they have a thing called an ILS {Instrument Landing system } apparently most largish airports have them, and from what I can understand the airport sends a beam which the pilot locks on to and it brings the aircraft in at the correct course and height, the pilot has to control the speed and do the actual touchdown manually, a number of things can go wrong, he missed the altitude he should have been at, he was too high/low or came in to fast, Brian has never landed here, but given where the airport is situated he also suggests sudden crosswinds, which I thought was unlikely as an aircraft landed quickly after it, the most common cause apparently is birds on the runway, which I suppose is possible here?
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Maybe the aircraft coming in behind was having fuel or other difficulties and they needed the runway completely clear ASAP?

Strangely, I can't find any record of it. There is this Binter from Las Palmas landing at 12:09, but there are no aborted attempts visible. The Lufthansa from Munich had a 12:24 landing and the flight path shows no aborted attempts. 

The only strange thing is a TUI from Frankfurt that supposedly was meant to land at 11:50, but the information is contradictory (one site says it didn't leave until then) and it apparently landed at 15:15. Maybe a re-directed flight from Lanzarote or something?

Quite a mystery you've stumbled into here! Arrivals are here if anyone else wants to dig further.
3 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
It happened between 12:05 and 12:15, no idea what airline, not one I recognised and I know most of the regulars, so that rules out Binter, Dire Air, Tui, Wizz Air, Eurowings, Condor, etc it had a blue and yellow livery.
Reply Quote
(22-11-2020, 12:50 PM)Johnrgby Wrote: It happened between 12:05 and 12:15, no idea what airline, not one I recognised and I know most of the regulars, so that rules out Binter, Dire Air, Tui, Wizz Air, Eurowings, Condor, etc it had a blue and yellow livery.

Lufthansa is blue and yellow, could it have been that?

[Image: 2020-05-25-152405362-_Lufthansa-plane-at-airport.jpg]
Reply Quote
No,I would have been able to read Lufthansa it was a light blue.
Reply Quote
Wondering was it cargo, maybe? That wouldn't show up on the arrivals list, and if it was very heavy and the winds were severe at that particular time, they might have had to try again. 

I found a site showing all the different airline liveries, so will take a poke on that later. I'm very curious now!

Edit: Wasn't this, was it?

[Image: 45142_1102544627.jpg]

They also seem to have this version:

[Image: 56416_1070247475.jpg]
5 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
If it had an Airline name on it I would have seen it so no.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(23-11-2020, 08:48 AM)Johnrgby Wrote: If it had an Airline name on it I would have seen it so no.

Pics of all the Spanish airlines can be found here if you want to check for yourself. 

A couple have blue and yellow in their logo, but they all also have the airline name on them (I've never seen a commercial plane without some name on), so that's the best I can do, unfortunately!
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mystery planes landing at 3 a.m. Emmi Smith 29 5,088 06-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Johnrgby