This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
2021 road changes law users jan

Changes in the law for road users from 2 Jan 2021
There have been some changes in the traffic laws, and they came into force on 2nd January 2021. 

Mobile Phone Use -The penalty for using a mobile phone when driving has doubled when talking on it (without a hands free system) to 6 points and you can lose 3 points for just holding it when driving.
Seat Belts - When seat belts are not used, child restraint systems are not used, or helmets on motor bikes or other protection elements are not used, it is a reduction of four points on the licence.
Scooters - regulates personal mobility vehicles, such as scooters, defined as vehicles with “one or more wheels equipped with a single seat and powered exclusively by electric motors that can provide the vehicle with a maximum speed of between 6 and 25 km/h”. This definition excludes vehicles for people with reduced mobility, and their circulation on sidewalks, pavements, and pedestrian areas is prohibited.
This means that stand-up and sit on scooters, which are not registered for the disabled, have to use roads in the same way as bicycles. Fines will apply accordingly.

Urban Speed Limits - The general speed limits on urban roads are redefined based on their different classification.
- On roads with a single carriageway and pavements, the limit will be 20 km/h.
- On roads with a single lane in two directions it will be 30 km/h.
- On roads with two or more lanes of traffic in two directions it will continue to be 50 km/h.

Overtaking - From now on, it will not be possible to exceed 20 km/h on any road to overtake any other vehicle. These limits will not apply until May 2021, six months after their publication in the Official State Gazette (BOE).
Radars - Carrying a radar detector in a vehicle will be considered a serious offence and will be penalized with a fine of 200 euros and three points less on the licence.
8 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for this Stephen, but I am a tad confused.

Overtaking - From now on, it will not be possible to exceed 20 km/h on any road to overtake any other vehicle. These limits will not apply until May 2021, six months after their publication in the Official State Gazette (BOE). surely this can not be correct, how do you pass something at 20KPH

Radars - Carrying a radar detector in a vehicle will be considered a serious offence and will be penalized with a fine of 200 euros and three points less on the licence. Are we talking here specifically radar detectors as my satnav has one inbuilt and while I do not use it often I do use it,

Anyone any idea?
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:38 AM)Johnrgby Wrote: Thanks for this Stephen, but I am a tad confused.

Overtaking - From now on, it will not be possible to exceed 20 km/h on any road to overtake any other vehicle. These limits will not apply until May 2021, six months after their publication in the Official State Gazette (BOE). surely this can not be correct, how do you pass something at 20KPH

Radars - Carrying a radar detector in a vehicle will be considered a serious offence and will be penalized with a fine of 200 euros and three points less on the licence. Are we talking here specifically radar detectors as my satnav has one inbuilt and while I do not use it often I do use it,

Anyone any idea?

Hi John, Happy New Year 🎆🎆
Just a thought but would the overtaking bit not mean 20kph above road speed limit while in the process, otherwise as you say, not possible.
On the radar/satnav bit. Is there not an option to disable it in your settings 😁😁
Cheers . . Ron
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
John
Spain had an interesting law regarding overtaking.
You could exceed the speed limit by 20km/h when doing an overtaking maneuver - this was meant for safety when overtaking long vehicles or on roads where there are few gaps to overtake.
So in a 90k/h zone, I could drive up to 110km/h to overtake someone doing 80km/h.
This will no longer be allowed from May 2021. That means that overtaking the same person doing 80km/h in a 90km/h zone would take longer as you have to stick to 90km/h - requiring better timing.

I personally made lots of use of this law, and will be very sad to see it go Sad

RE Radars.
From my investigation into the change, it only covers detectors - dedicated devices designed to detect the signals from radar units (fixed and mobile). It does not affect GPS based systems that use a database of known locations to alert drivers.
A recent change in Germany was that the GPS based systems are not allowed to play any kind of alert noise or warning - I am not yet sure if the same is true for Spain. But with only a handful of cameras on the island, I don't think this is a major issue here.

These 2 rules bring Spain more inline with the rest of Europe (especially the overtaking speed)
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
4 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote