Hi , check the State of emergency thread and Repatriation from Fuerteventura, please.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
convenio application especial

Convenio Especial application
Does anyone have any up to date information on this? has anyone applied for and received it recently?
2 users say Thank You to diddydoit for this post
Reply Quote
Welcome to the forum and sorry for the late reply.

Not applied myself but considering Convenio Especial in the future. The best link to have some up to date information would be probably this one: http://healthcareinspain.eu/living-in-sp...ioespecial

A couple more: www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo & www.gov.uk/living-in-spain

According to HealthcareinSpain you can make an enquiry and apply at your local healthcare centre, also read elsewhere, Ayuntamiento is good place to ask apparently. You'll need to be resident OR be on the padron for 12 months and for some reason, you won't be getting Spanish EHIC card. I hope the UK one will work instead??
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(27-11-2019, 12:06 PM)Sam Wrote: You'll need to be resident OR be on the padron for 12 months and for some reason, you won't be getting Spanish EHIC card

I don't see how this can be right? The Convenio insures you for healthcare on the same basis as a Spanish national, so, as long as your are not also covered by another member state, Spain would assume responsibility for the EHIC. 

Indeed, it says just that on the healthcareinspain.eu page:

"If you are covered by Spain for healthcare, you should apply for a Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea (EHIC equivalent) from your nearest  social security office (Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social) in person or online here."  

Is this not right?
2 users say Thank You to Robbo for this post
Reply Quote
On the HealthcareinSpain page it actually says:

No entitlement to healthcare cover? If you are not entitled to healthcare cover from Spain or the UK, you might be able to join the Spanish government’s pay-in health insurance scheme known as the[b] Convenio Especial[/b]. This scheme provides access to the state healthcare system for a monthly payment of €60 per person under the age of 65 and €157 for those age 65+. It covers all pre-existing medical conditions but it does not cover prescriptions. You will not be issued with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for healthcare cover outside of Spain (within the EU).

In order to apply, you must have been registered at the local Town Hall on the ‘padrón’ ([i]Certificado de Empadronamiento)[/i] in Spain for at least 1 year and you must not be in receipt of any healthcare cover from the UK. Please see list below:

It doesn't say it will cover you for healthcare on the same basis as a Spanish national and it quite clearly states it is a 'pay-in health insurance scheme'. So you are not 'covered by Spain' you are 'covered by yourself'!
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote