This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

[-]
Tags
50th airport happy birthday

Happy 50th Birthday to the Airport
The current airport in El Matorral celebrates it's 50th birthday tomorrow. The previous airport was in Los Estancos.

The first flight came in from Las Palmas, and in 1973 the first European flights arrived. The present terminal building opened in 1994 and was extended in 2006. The airport employs 2,300 people, and 46 airlines from 102 destinations use it.
5 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
And without the airport we would never discover this gem in the middle of the ocean.  Love

Seriously. Is here anyone who came to Fuerteventura having a cruise holiday from Southampton (or elsewhere) and immediately felt in love with the island?
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
The history of Fuerteventura airports is interesting.

The airport at Los Estancos was small and could only take small planes. International flights went to Arricife and passengers were brought to Fuerteventura on a shuttle flight. The Tetir road crossed the runway and there used to have to be a soldier stopping traffic with a red flag when a plane needed to use it. The old terminal building is still there, now part of the technology park.

Before that the airport was an ex-military airfield at Tefia. It was abandoned because the strong cross winds there made it dangerous. (See also the story of the paratroops who were killed there by those winds)
6 users say Thank You to duncolm for this post
Reply Quote
Here’s a photo of the airport which was probably taken in the mid 1980’s.  

In those days, baggage reclaim was a tractor arriving at the front of the airport with trailers in tow loaded up with suitcases. You just helped yourself.  For faster than now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

4 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
Here's another old photo of the airport.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

4 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
(16-09-2019, 05:01 PM)Tardis Wrote: Here’s a photo of the airport which was probably taken in the mid 1980’s.  

In those days, baggage reclaim was a tractor arriving at the front of the airport with trailers in tow loaded up with suitcases. You just helped yourself.  For faster than now.

Still the same on some of the smaller islands, experienced this on La Gomera and El Hierro a couple of years ago.  Big Grin 

Thanks for the pics - I'm fascinated by old pics.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(13-09-2019, 03:05 PM)Sam Wrote: And without the airport we would never discover this gem in the middle of the ocean.  Love

Seriously. Is here anyone who came to Fuerteventura having a cruise holiday from Southampton (or elsewhere) and immediately felt in love with the island?

Not quite.  I came by ferry from Lanzorote on a day trip.  Quickly decided it is the best Canary Island, and that I would retire here.  Next visit was in 2017, to buy my apartment.
4 users say Thank You to Sir Real for this post
Reply Quote
Video celebrating the 50th Birthday. Quite interesting view from the air traffic control tower.

I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(13-09-2019, 03:05 PM)Sam Wrote: And without the airport we would never discover this gem in the middle of the ocean.  Love

I know this is an older thread - I hope it still has some life in it!  I was on holiday in Lanzarote when I came here on a day trip some 15 years or so ago.  Having holidayed on the 3 large islands several times, it was my first trip here.  I quickly formed the opinion that it was the best of the Canaries, and I was going to retire here.  My next visit was in January '17, to start looking for my retirement home.  By May that year, I'd bought my apartment in Antigua, and apart from trips back to Blighty, I've been here ever since.

So yep Sam, not a cruise holiday, but the ferry from Playa Blanca, and back the same day.  That was enough for me.  You might think that sounds impulsive, but I like to think it was decisive!
2 users say Thank You to Sir Real for this post
Reply Quote
(18-11-2019, 10:29 AM)Sir Real Wrote: ... You might think that sounds impulsive...

Impulsive? Not at all. Decided to buy our place on the island, visited few places we're interested in, opened a bank account, found solicitor and visited notary in Puerto (to sign Power of attorney) all within the first holiday (10 days) we've been on Fuerteventura. Still wouldn't call our behaviour impulsive. The only thing I would regret is if we didn't do it at all.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote