This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
permit international driving

International Driving Permit
I have been assuming that an IDP would be required by U.K. license holders after 1 January.

But I have just read a BBC article saying that EEA countries are not planning on enforcing this requirement for stays of less than a year. This is news to me.

The U.K. government web page on the topic is a lesson in confusion.

There is very little to go on.

Does anyone know the situation with IDPs in Spain after 1 January ?

Many thanks.
1 user says Thank You to FVmouse for this post
Reply Quote
I have been assuming that an IDP would be required by U.K. license holders after 1 January.
 As did I

But I have just read a BBC article saying that EEA countries are not planning on enforcing this requirement for stays of less than a year. This is news to me.

Sort of makes sense

The U.K. government web page on the topic is a lesson in confusion.

There is very little to go on.

As is the norm with UK Government web sites

Does anyone know the situation with IDPs in Spain after 1 January ?

I have one, but the answer really is no, I live here, but will not give up my UK license that I have held for 55 years + omless there is no other option
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
1 user says Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I think the Gov.uk page is quite clear. As you said, you don't need an IDP for Spain for a visit of less than 12 months.
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:40 AM)Johnrgby Wrote: I have one, but the answer really is no, I live here, but will not give up my UK license that I have held for 55 years + omless there is no other option

This is a message I got from my Spanish Tax advisor today:

I am sure most of you have already changed your UK driving licenses to a Spanish one. If this is your case, then this email is irrelevant. But if you still have your UK license and it is your intention to keep living and driving in this wonderful country then it is very important that you do the following;

Sometime before December 30th 2020 you must do an online application on the Spanish Tráfico website ( DGT) to either exchange ( if license is still valid) or renew ( in case your UK license has expired). Once this application is done, if you do not receive  a negative reply within 3 days saying the UK authorities have denied the exchange or renewal ( very unlikely unless your license is forged or you are a terrible driver), then you can book an appointment at Tráfico Offices in Puerto del Rosario anytime from 3 days after application to June 30th 2021. This is the appointment where you have to pass the sight and reflexes test, and then you present all the paperwork and you receive the new license about 40 days later.

The Spanish Tráfico Authorities strongly suggest British Nationals to do this and minimize the possible effects of a no-deal Brexit. The reason for this is that a no-deal Brexit will mean your UK licenses will have "third country" consideration, so you will be allowed to drive in Spain only for 6 months after Dec 31st 2020, and then if you want to keep driving, you will have to pass the Spanish Driving Exam, the ones we did when we were very young.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
We have our 1949 IDP's just in case there wasn't an agreement on the acceptance of UK driving licences.   They are only valid for 12 months so have to be renewed every 12 months but can be predated by up to 3 months so our current ones start on January 1st 2021.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK driving licence post brexit Adrianb 0 2,759 10-07-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Adrianb
  Driving a UK registered car TrickyFox 11 7,289 18-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sam