This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palm tree pruning in Caleta
Hi all, first post so please forgive as we are technically challenged. Our complex in Caleta is in the process of being sold off after years of neglect. All our palm trees need pruning, and one is diseased which needs removing. Our admin company is going to charge us 115e per tree to prune, and 3,000e to get rid of the diseased one. The first phase of pruning has already taken place, but does anyone know of a licensed horticulturalist who could do the same job at a more reasonable rate? We are a fledgling community with not a lot in the pot,so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.👍🙏.
3 users say Thank You to Chris for this post
Reply Quote
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get some useful advice here.
I am no help on this I am afraid Chris, never had any experience of it 🙁 Just an observation though.
To me this seems pretty pricey, as I imagine you also feel as you are looking for alternatives. How many trees are you talking about ?
Could all add up to a fair number of Dineros me thinks 🙁🙁
Cheers . . Ron
3 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
Welcome Chris. we are on Fuerteventura Golf so Anjoca appear look after the palm trees on our public areas and the golf course and for the tall palms they use a cherry picker and the costs associated with that.

With the diseased one does the cost include removing the root ball so as to remove any disease that is in the ground?

As a guide back in Windermere to have a tree pollarded (top half cut out so similar to pruning tall palms) and a tree taken felled, root left in ground and with the timber from both left on site for me to sell or give away as fire wood cost £2,500.

Hope that helps.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
3 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
Thank you it does.🤛🏻
2 users say Thank You to Chris for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Ron, thanks for taking the time to respond. There’s 27 in total, so yes pretty pricey but it’s got to be done I’m afraid.🤛🏻
2 users say Thank You to Chris for this post
Reply Quote
We had one Pepper Tree that had become dangerous reduced by 50%.  It cost the Community 500e.
3 users say Thank You to Perrypower1 for this post
Reply Quote
If anyone has ever wondered what happens to some of the pruned branches, in one barranco in the south, when out walking, I've come across smouldering piles on several occassions, with goats nibbling a few bits.
On another occassion, I came across a pile just dumped by the side of the road and I spotted an almost new tennis ball, then another, and another. Obviously someone had been pruning next to a tennis court and not bothering to retrieve the lost balls. I ended up taking 6 or 7 home.
3 users say Thank You to dampsquib for this post
Reply Quote
For the pruning:
Call Babba in Corralejo. Big man from Senegal. Speaks spanish and french. Owns a plant / flower shop at "chinese roundabout"
Not expensive, works hard and cleans up behind him.
tel +34 631 01 90 88
3 users say Thank You to erik_tonny for this post
Reply Quote
Tongue 
(08-10-2019, 03:30 PM)dampsquib Wrote: On another occassion, I came across a pile just dumped by the side of the road and I spotted an almost new  tennis ball, then another, and another. Obviously someone had been pruning next to a tennis court and not bothering to retrieve the lost balls. I ended up taking 6 or 7 home.

It's illegal to dump tennis balls by the side of the road. That is why they hind them beneath branches.  Rolleyes
2 users say Thank You to erik_tonny for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Chris

I took a photo of tree fellers (count them)  in El Cotillo a couple of years ago.

Details are on the side of the van (click photo to enlarge) if this helps

3 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote