This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
public smoking

SMOKING IN PUBLIC
What are the current rules for smoking in a public place? Not in bars and restaurants of course, but in open air, distancing observed, and mask worn when not smoking!
2 users say Thank You to hogfather for this post
Reply Quote
You need to look at thus from another angle. 

Ask yourself instead 'where do I need to wear a mask?'

Wearing a mask means you can't smoke, therefore, it is only where you are permitted to be without a mask that you can smoke. 

In short, almost nowhere if you are in a populated area!

The only other places:
In your home.
In bar or restaurant where smoking is permitted on the terrace. 

Tom.
2 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
(22-09-2020, 03:41 PM)hogfather Wrote: What are the current rules for smoking in a public place? Not in bars and restaurants of course, but in open air, distancing observed, and mask worn when not smoking!

The situation is still the same as one month ago:

Quote:2) TOBACCO

a) Smoking, use of tobacco inhalation devices, water pipes, hookahs, shisha or similar devices will not be allowed on public roads and in outdoor spaces, as long as it is not possible to guarantee the maintenance of an interpersonal safety distance of 2 meters.

b) The use of tobacco inhalation devices, water pipes, hookahs, shisha, or similar devices is prohibited in all entertainment, leisure, hotel, restaurant and any other type of establishment open to the public.

https://fuerteventura.click/Thread-Manda...9#pid18939
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Smile 
Thanks both, but none the wiser as two answers differ! In other words, if I am miles from anyone and see no "old bill" can I sneak a drag?
1 user says Thank You to hogfather for this post
Reply Quote
(23-09-2020, 10:37 AM)hogfather Wrote: Thanks both, but none the wiser as two answers differ! In other words, if I am miles from anyone and see no "old bill" can I sneak a drag?

If you're miles away from anyone, you can smoke. If suddenly somebody pops near you, put it down straight away and wear your mask. Practice in the middle of nowhere, after a few successful tries move a bit closer to the nearest town or village, avoid town centres as that's quite opposite of "miles from anyone". Smile
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Just to clarify one point, you are not allowed to smoke on any bar, café, restaurant terrace at the moment. 
I'm a smoker, I keep well away from anyone else when I'm out and about and have had no problems.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Just found this on Janet Anscombe's site which confirms my own translation of the BOE:
  • smoking is banned in the outside areas of all bars, restaurants, etc., and in any outdoor public spaces unless the smoker is alone, motionless, and can guarantee 2m distancing from anyone else.  Smoking is already banned throughout Spain in enclosed public spaces like bars, restaurants, airports, as well as outside schools, hospitals, etc
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(28-10-2020, 07:51 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Just found this on Janet Anscombe's site which confirms my own translation of the BOE:
  • smoking is banned in the outside areas of all bars, restaurants, etc., and in any outdoor public spaces unless the smoker is alone, motionless, and can guarantee 2m distancing from anyone else.  Smoking is already banned throughout Spain in enclosed public spaces like bars, restaurants, airports, as well as outside schools, hospitals, etc

MotionlessBig Grin

So you can light the cigarette— but you then have to hold it in place, frozen, until it burns down to the filter, trying to desperately inhale whatever the wind might blow to you. Once it finally burns out, you are then freed from your immobilised prison, ready to resume your day. 

...I know they are doing their best to protect people and there are undoubtedly some who would take the proverbial using smoking as an excuse to ditch the mask for long periods of time, but they're really making it difficult here.

In practice, what I have seen is people sneaking their mask up to take a drag and hastily pulling it back into place when anyone approaches. It's probably not legal, but it does seem to be what folks are doing.
2 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote