This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
alive snakes

Snakes alive!
from RTVAC:

The Town Hall of Pájara transmits tranquility to its neighbors after the appearance of a Californian snake in Costa Calma

The Municipality of Pájara has placed traps and has made a control and supervision of the area and its surroundings and has confirmed that it is an isolated case

The Town Hall of Pájara has carried out the pertinent actions for the control and supervision of the area and its surroundings, proceeding to the installation of several traps, after which no new capture has been made. The appearance of the specimen, a female with eggs, is predictably an isolated case that could be a specimen in captivity, owned by a neighbor in the area.

Dunia Álvaro, second lieutenant mayor, transmits tranquility to the residents of Costa Calma. "From the City Council will be special monitoring of the case and beg citizens to any sighting immediately notify the authorities," says Álvaro. Álvaro asks the neighbors to be responsible in the acquisition and possession of certain species that because some may "be harmful to the native flora and fauna."

For the members of the current municipal corporation, it is of vital importance the control of invasive species, and remember that the possession and release to the natural environment constitutes a serious infraction, provided in article 76.1.F of Law 42/2007, of 13 October of Natural Heritage and Biodiversity, with fines ranging between 5,001 and 200,000 euros.

On the other hand, it is recalled on the basis of article 333 of the Criminal Code that anyone "introduces or releases species of non-native flora and fauna, in a way that damages the biological equilibrium, in contravention of the laws or general protective provisions of flora species or fauna, will be punished with imprisonment from four months to two years or a fine of eight to twenty-four months and, in any case, special disqualification for profession or trade for a period of one to three years ».

For its part, the Civil Guard has recalled that said snake is included in the catalog of invasive species of concern for the outermost region of the Canary Islands, approved in the R.D. 216/2019, of May 29, which modifies RD 630/2013 of August 2, which regulates the Spanish Catalog of Invasive Alien Species.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
My goodness!  From what I have heard there are no natural snakes on the island, is this a fact?
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
A fact, as far as I'm aware Emmi. One of the reasons I moved here - I hate the critters!
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Some idiot let it loose. Just like GC where they have become a problem in the wild and have regular sessions trying to round them up. Let's hope this is a one-off.
2 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
(24-07-2019, 09:50 AM)Archer Wrote: Some idiot let it loose. Just like GC where they have become a problem in the wild and have regular sessions trying to round them up. Let's hope this is a one-off.

I think I read that it was carrying eggs as well, so good job it was found.
2 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
(23-07-2019, 11:09 AM)Emmi Smith Wrote: My goodness!  From what I have heard there are no natural snakes on the island, is this a fact?

That's a fact, Emmi.

Although there was another incident a few years ago in Puerto del Rosario when somebody found a snake in their bathroom.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
I hope “they” treated her humanly and with care and respect when they did find her.
2 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
(25-07-2019, 03:34 PM)Rasputin Wrote: I hope “they” treated her humanly and with care and respect when they did find her.

Pretty sure both snakes ended up in Oasis Zoo.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote