This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
hondo volcano calderon

Volcano Calderon Hondo
Shocked 
I did this walk about 10 days ago during my last visit.

But I made the mistake of taking the left-hand fork on the footpath and skirting the volcano in a clockwise direction.

The footpath gradually deteriorates into a very narrow, steep, uneven and at times slippery 'goat track', levelling out onto a ridge below the summit of Mt Colorada.

An even trickier path then leads up to the rim of the Hondo caldera and at times it is quite a scramble to make any headway up this incline because the lava gravel makes it like walking uphill on ball bearings.

It's an even dicier decent as gravity tends to take hold and accelerate your pace.

My advice to anyone wishing to get to the viewing platform on the caldera rim is to keep right and skirt the volcano in an anti-clockwise direction, just like the booklet advises.
2 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
(27-12-2018, 02:42 PM)Gone Fishing Wrote: I did this walk about 10 days ago during my last visit.

But I made the mistake of taking the left-hand fork on the footpath and skirting the volcano in a clockwise direction.

The footpath gradually deteriorates into a very narrow, steep, uneven and at times slippery 'goat track', levelling out onto a ridge below the summit of Mt Colorada.

An even trickier path then leads up to the rim of the Hondo caldera and at times it is quite a scramble to make any headway up this incline because the lava gravel makes it like walking uphill on ball bearings.

It's an even dicier decent as gravity tends to take hold and accelerate your pace.

My advice to anyone wishing to get to the viewing platform on the caldera rim is to keep right and skirt the volcano in an anti-clockwise direction, just like the booklet advises.

We done it a couple years ago and took the left hand fork. Yes, it's a bit difficult but the view of the volcano is much better from the top. Also the way it just appears while you're walking already slightly downward from the peak. I would say it's worth the extra energy, especially if you take with you somebody who never knew about the volcano.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Nice drone video of the volcano, published just a couple of days ago:

I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calderon Hondo, Lajares 28/09/2019 TamaraEnLaPlaya 2 2,806 14-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Last Post: DavidP