This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
lack water demonstration

Demonstration for lack of water!
Radio Sintonia:

Demonstration for lack of water.

The residents of Fuerteventura will join in a demonstration for lack of water in response to the prolonged shortage crisis that has affected the island for more than two decades. Tired of broken promises and excuses, citizens are taking steps to pressure the authorities to address this problem effectively.

The demonstration is scheduled for Wednesday, August 23, starting at 17:30 p.m., and will take place at the gates of the Cabildo de Fuerteventura. Organizers are calling on all residents of the island to join the protest and express their concern at the critical water supply situation.

For more than two decades, the inhabitants of Fuerteventura have witnessed repeated promises about solving the water crisis within four years. Despite these claims, the situation has not improved and excuses persist. Rally organizers say the time has come to move from words to action.

Citizens urge the authorities to start implementing concrete solutions to address water scarcity, which has had a significant impact on daily life on the island. The demonstration seeks to send a clear message that the community is united in its determination to see tangible improvements in the management of the vital resource.

Attendees are encouraged to bring banners, empty carafes and bottles, as well as other water-related items, to highlight the gravity of the situation. The presence of a large number of people at the demonstration is essential for the demands of the community to be heard and taken seriously.

The organizers thank in advance the participation and support of all residents of Fuerteventura in this important initiative.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
How disappointing!

I and several friends turned up for the demo this evening - a total of 30 people attended! At one point there were 6 of us demonstrators and 4 Policia Nacional - 2 of the Policia quickly disappeared realising there was nothing for them to do and the other 2 went after speaking to the organisers for about 5 minutes.

There were 3 of us British, 2 Italians, 1 Polish and I think the rest were Spanish.

3 from Tindaya, 3 from Parques Hollandes, 2 from Villaverde, the others unknown.
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
New date!

Demonstration for lack of water.

The residents of Fuerteventura will join in a demonstration for lack of water in response to the prolonged shortage crisis that has affected the island for more than two decades. Tired of broken promises and excuses, citizens are taking steps to pressure the authorities to address this problem effectively.

The demonstration that was originally planned for Wednesday 23, has been rescheduled for this Wednesday, August 30, starting at 17:30 p.m. This event will take place in the vicinity of the Cabildo de Fuerteventura. The organizers extend a call to all residents of the island to join this protest and jointly express their concern about the delicate situation that crosses the water supply.

Citizens urge the authorities to start implementing concrete solutions to address the lack of water, which has had a significant impact on daily life on the island. The demonstration seeks to send a clear message that the community is united in its determination to see tangible improvements in the management of the vital resource.

The organizers thank in advance the participation and support of all residents of Fuerteventura in this important initiative.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Just in time - another shortage started this morning (third one this month, for a total of 6 days and counting...). Will try to come and join the protest.
1 user says Thank You to G2HJei for this post
Reply Quote
I was unable to attend today but at least the demo got a write up in teh press.

Radio Sintonia:

Inés Alonso de León: "I have suffered anxiety attacks at home due to water issues"

Today, Wednesday, the community of Fuerteventura gathers in an act of protest at the gates of the Cabildo of the island, starting at 17:30 p.m., to express their frustration at the prolonged water shortage that has affected the region for more than two decades. The island's residents have had to endure continuous water cuts and unfulfilled promises of long-term solutions, leaving the population in an untenable situation.

Under the slogan "Water Now! Action Now!", the organizers and attendees of the demonstration make an urgent call to the authorities of the island to listen to their voices in demand of concrete measures. Inés Alonso de León, the organizer of the call, stresses the need to effectively address the water supply problems that have seriously affected the lives of the island's inhabitants.

"We have been suffering from the issue of water cuts for more than twenty years," says Alonso de León. "It's heartbreaking to come home with clothes and no water," adds the one who also owns a laundromat.

The demonstration brings together a large number of participants to draw attention to the urgent need to address the island's water crisis. Attendees use creative banners, carafes and empty bottles as symbols of the fight against water scarcity. The organizers hope that this show of solidarity and determination will prompt the authorities to take concrete steps to initiate an effective solution process.

The island's neighbours urge everyone to join the demonstration and join forces in the search for a lasting solution to the historic water shortage that has plagued Fuerteventura for far too long. Together, they seek real change and a more sustainable future for the island and its inhabitants.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Noticias:

Residents of the island protest against water cuts on the island.

Yesterday afternoon some three hundred people protested the water situation of the island's population

NEWSROOMFUERTEVENTURA

Around three hundred people demonstrated yesterday afternoon in Fuerteventura protesting the constant water cuts on the island of Fuerteventura.

The demonstrators are demanding "immediate solutions" to the situation on the island "of constant supply cuts" in the network that depends on the water supply consortium.

"Families and small businesses constantly suffer from this situation, and there are restaurants and cafes that have had to close for days because of the situation without anyone taking responsibility," they say with a high point of indignation.

The Fuerteventura Sin Agua platform has stressed that at least 30 villages on the island live almost daily without supply due to cuts that last up to 15 days.

link to article for pic - I'm there if you can spot me!

The demo included a march through the city centre for about one and half hours - Police closed the roads ahead of us - including the dual carriageway alongside Las Rotondas. We had some great support from the impacted drivers Thumbs Up
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote