Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
spain roles police differences

Differences in Police roles in Spain
Just in case anyone was not sure.....

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/di...sh-police/
5 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Emmi. Will Copy&Paste from aforementioned link in case of it getting removed:

Guardia Civil (Civil Guard)

The remit of the Guardia Civil is to Police rural areas and towns generally under 20,000 people. They also Police Spain’s highways and are often seen on motorways and other roads doing speed and document checks, enforcing traffic violations and supervising traffic accidents. If you suffer a crime or need Police help in a rural area of Spain it is the Guardia Civil who will attend.

El Cuerpo Nacional de Policia (The National Police)

The Policia Nacional are responsible for Border Security and issue Residencia Certificates for anyone wanting to become a resident in Spain and the essential National-registry Identification number (NIE). If you suffer a crime or need help in an urban area (population usually over 20,000), it is the Policia Nacional who will respond. Their duties also include the security of the Spanish Royal Family and major Government figures.

Policia Local (Local Police)

Sometimes known as the Policia Municipal, this is the force that really deal with only minor matters such as parking, local traffic control and bylaw issues. Spain has no real equivalent to the bobby on the beat. They have no Police powers but can support higher level Police officers. Crimes are not investigated by the Policia Local and any serious matter is immediately handed over to either the Guardia Civil or Policia Nacional.
I Heart Fuerteventura
6 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Don't we also have the Canarian Police
I seem to remember they were established as a sort of macho project but no-one could decide on what they should do. They are still around so someone must have found a role for them. Anyone know what they do?
3 users say Thank You to Pho for this post
Reply Quote
They do exist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polic%C3%ADa_Canaria
2 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
Never seen a Canarian Police person. Will check it out with a friend I am seeing on Friday!
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
According to my friend who is a GC, the Canarian Police are at present only in Tenerife,  and a very small number of them. Seems it was thought of as a good idea at the time! But not really any real role for them. Being a very loyal Spaniard, he wouldn't comment further, but I could see he thought it had been a complete waste of Money and time.
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote