This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
sea creature avoid

AVOID this sea creature
https://noticiasfuerteventura.com/fuerte...ne-auto133

Sorry cannot get a  full Google translation of this currently, but this first paragraph says it all

"The Glaucus atlanticus or as it is commonly known, the Blue Dragon or Sea Butterfly is a nudibranch or sea slug, between two and four centimeters, and its beauty, both for its elongated shape with a sharp tail, six limbs with numerous appendages. and ventral face pointing to the sky, as in its blue and silver colors, make these individuals a unique and very beautiful species, but highly dangerous, its poison exceeds the Portuguese Caravel in toxicity, it is not deadly, but very dangerous. In this case they have been sighted in Corralejo, between the Aguja area and the Grandes Playas. "
4 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
(08-10-2021, 09:36 AM)Emmi Smith Wrote: https://noticiasfuerteventura.com/fuerte...ne-auto133

Sorry cannot get a  full Google translation of this currently, but this first paragraph says it all

"The Glaucus atlanticus or as it is commonly known, the Blue Dragon or Sea Butterfly is a nudibranch or sea slug, between two and four centimeters, and its beauty, both for its elongated shape with a sharp tail, six limbs with numerous appendages. and ventral face pointing to the sky, as in its blue and silver colors, make these individuals a unique and very beautiful species, but highly dangerous, its poison exceeds the Portuguese Caravel in toxicity, it is not deadly, but very dangerous. In this case they have been sighted in Corralejo, between the Aguja area and the Grandes Playas. "

Morning Emmi, I trust you are well? full translation below

The city council recommends caution as its poison is very dangerous and can cause blackouts. 

[*] NEWSROOMFUERTEVENTURA

The Glaucus atlanticus or as it is commonly known, the Blue Dragon or Sea Butterfly is a nudibranch or sea slug, between two and four centimetres, and its beauty, both for its elongated shape with a sharp tail, six limbs with numerous appendages. and ventral face pointing to the sky, as in its blue and silver colours, make these individuals a unique and very beautiful species, but highly dangerous, its poison exceeds the Portuguese Caravel in toxicity, it is not deadly, but very dangerous. In this case, they have been sighted in Corralejo, between the Aguja area and the Grandes Playas.

Some experts assure that due to its extremely stabbing power it causes very intense pain that can generate fainting that even leads to death by drowning of the bathers bitten. In any case, they are not aggressive, so the council recommends this point, "do not touch or disturb them, if they are not disturbed, they do not usually attack".

Some scholars refer to these small specimens as the "butterflies of the sea", for their beauty and their consideration of evolved molluscs. "They have traded the brute force of the shell for chemical warfare."

This last factor should be kept in mind if we meet any of these individuals on the coast to take the proper precautions since ingested poison can cause hives and intense pain in the event of a sting. "It is enough to admire its beauty and avoid touching it, like all wildlife", in case of a bite it is recommended to contact the emergency services.

Their presence on the coast of the Islands is not new, far from it, but it is not a species that is normally seen on our beaches, in any case, it is better to admire them and let them go, they are more comfortable in the open sea “although sometimes the Tides they drag them to the beaches and puddles of the Canary Islands, especially in autumn ”.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks John, yes I am surviving, hope you are OK too.
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
(08-10-2021, 09:53 AM)Emmi Smith Wrote: Thanks John, yes I am surviving, hope you are OK too.

All is well thanks Emm Smile Smile Smile
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Picture, I hope, attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

5 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
What fascinating and beautiful creatures.

I expect they are are attracted to Fuerteventura because of the abundance of naturist-friendly beaches ... well they are nudibranchs  Dodgy

Apparently they eat the stinging parts of Portuguese Man O War and store the toxins in their bodies for their own protective use.
5 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
(08-10-2021, 12:42 PM)Gone Fishing Wrote: Apparently they eat the stinging parts of Portuguese Man O War and store the toxins in their bodies for their own protective use.

Is that the reason for the blue colour?
Portuguese Man o’ War was the first thing on my mind when I saw a photo of these, truly beautiful creatures.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote