This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
rain

After The Rain
(07-11-2018, 07:17 PM)Spitfire58 Wrote: It’s funny the differences you see from place to place. We were in the pedestrian street in PDR last year near where are outside cafe seats in the middle (about where North Sur used to be) & some of the trees there had huge flat brown seed pods ripening. They must have been about 2 inches wide & up to a foot long. Looked really out of proportion to the trees. Saw the same trees this year & the flowers didn’t look in proportion to the pods either ??

Ron I think the trees you saw were Tamarind trees the pulp of the seed pods make Tamarind Paste used a lot in oriental cooking.

I believe we saw 2 trees down at Pozo Negro today - 

John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
1 user says Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
(07-11-2018, 07:17 PM)Spitfire58 Wrote: It’s funny the differences you see from place to place. We were in the pedestrian street in PDR last year near where are outside cafe seats in the middle (about where North Sur used to be) & some of the trees there had huge flat brown seed pods ripening. They must have been about 2 inches wide & up to a foot long. Looked really out of proportion to the trees. Saw the same trees this year & the flowers didn’t look in proportion to the pods either ??

I think these are actually Flamboyant trees (or Royal Poinciana) - they get covered with red, orange or yellow flowers for a couple of weeks, absolutely beautiful. Got several in my garden.
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(07-11-2018, 08:00 AM)Spitfire58 Wrote: Hi T en P, are the seed pods in that pic the long thin pinkish things ? Very strange !!

Yep, and the seeds are even stranger. Imagine two dandelion clocks and then put a bar between them like bar bell weights! There are hundreds inside each pod.
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(07-11-2018, 09:46 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote:

I think these are actually Flamboyant trees (or Royal Poinciana) - they get covered with red, orange or yellow flowers for a couple of weeks, absolutely beautiful. Got several in my garden.

Happy to be corrected Tamara, thanks, they are very similar to Tamarind Trees and the seed pods are almost identical.
Reply Quote
(07-11-2018, 09:46 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote:

I've got a couple of these trees in my garden.  I'm constantly cutting them back to stop the seed pods forming. If you let the seed pods dry out and split, the seeds go everywhere.  Then as soon as it rains there are little green shoots sprouting up all over the garden Angry
2 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Hope this picture explains why I thought they were Tamarind Trees - 

Also link to Wikipedia  - Tamarind Tree
Reply Quote
WG. I think there are many varieties of this type of tree. From the legume family, I think - hence the pods that look like peas or beans. If you visit the botanical gardens in Oasis, Lajita, there are many varieties there with seeds pods from 3 or 4 inches up to over a foot long. Oasis Park used to have a stand at FEAGA and collected these giant pods for the kids to paint. 
I have been struggling to get 2 established in my garden, but they don't like the wind!
2 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks all for the pictures. The ones I saw did look more like the Royal Pionciana as the seed pods were completely flat
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
[Image: jqcPr0x.jpg]

From Corralejo today I could see big patches of bright green on Lobos. It shows mainly on the right hand flank in this pic. I think it is one of the local species of Tabaiba. If anyone is nearer/on Lobos and can take a better pic it would be nice to see. TIA.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
The dogs have been enjoying searching out the patches of grass:

[Image: KRSncU2.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rain in Spain falls mainly on Tiscamanita! TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 2,141 15-03-2022, 09:16 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya