Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
us big brother watching

Big brother is watching us
The Police have recently installed CCTV in El Cotillo.  There are cameras next to the Football ground and in front of Azzurro restaurant.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

6 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
I spotted them a while back and was curious as to the make and model.
From what I recall they are pointing more at the beach and ocean than anywhere else.

I was driving by at the time so I could be mistaken.

There are many "Beach/Ocean" cams around the island for surfers to see the waves etc.

Plus... Dosnt look high end enough to be Police.
I will stop to take a proper look and determine what tech/system they are using - could tell if Police or else.
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
7 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
(22-01-2021, 08:58 PM)McAdam Wrote: I spotted them a while back and was curious as to the make and model.
From what I recall they are pointing more at the beach and ocean than anywhere else.

I was driving by at the time so I could be mistaken.

There are many "Beach/Ocean" cams around the island for surfers to see the waves etc.

Plus... Dosnt look high end enough to be police.
I will stop to take a proper look and determine what tech/system they are using - could tell if police or else.

I've attached a close-up photo of the cameras.  They are made by Alhua.

A friend was recently involved in a minor accident at the Football ground and the Police were called.  One of the policemen said the cameras were theirs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

7 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
Seems like an odd field of view based on the position, on the corner of the Football ground, opposite the Dragon China 2012 shop and at the end of the pedestrian crossing from the Superdino.

Looks like the cameras are facing diagonally across to Cotillo Country apartments and El Carmen, rather than along the FV-10 from El Roque and along El Cotillo high St. towards the new harbour.
3 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
That is interetesing Tardis.
They are not the same ones I saw (which were closer to Azzuro restaurant).
I was in Coti a couple of days ago but forgot to take not Big Grin

Could they be a part of lockdown restrictions... since only limited sports are allowed, maybe its to deter a full 11v11 match in the grounds there?
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
2 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
The actual brand name is Dahua, it seems like a low budget option for official use.
2 users say Thank You to Nemo4 for this post
Reply Quote
Its not the cheapest thing in the world, Also not the best.
Model number is either IPC-HFW3549E , IPC-HFW3449E, or IPC-HFW3249E - so price is between €80 and €130 depending on options.

It is a relatively new tech (h265) but the key thing that makes me think that it is not a proper security camera is the fact that its fixed, not a PTZ (pan tilt zoom) camera. Its designed to look at a specific fixed area. Some models do have a zoom lens, but can't be certain if the one in Coti has zoom.

Either way, adding 2 cameras probably added 1% to the total number of cameras on the island. It is really uncommon vs almost anywhere else in Europe. So I don't think its "Big Brother is watching" but rather "Juan is watching sometimes"

There is a way to tell who is controlling. They are connected wirelessly to a network (a small antenna on the top). Visit each site, see which way the antenna is facing, triangulate the base location. If on an official building, there's the answer. If on some apartment building, less likely to be for official use.
But I'm not going to waste my time to find out Smile it changes nothing.

p.s. if you ever pass me while I'm driving, you will be captured on 4 security cameras. Enter my garden, and prepare to be filmed in full glorious 1440p with HDR from every angle - so don't do anything embarrassing...
5 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
A friend of ours was in a taxi in Corralejo and mentioned the cameras in Cotillo to the driver.  He then proceeded to point out several that had recently been installed in Corralejo.
4 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
I noticed that these cameras are fixed to the pole with plastic cable ties,  not the most secure fixing!

Perhaps with the recent high winds, they have twisted around the pole as I'm sure the original were fixed on the main road (in both directions).

Tom.
25/75 Birmingham/El Cotillo. Cool
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote