This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
betancuria nurseries oliva cabildo

Cabildo nurseries at Betancuria and La Oliva
Anyone know if the Cabildo open to the public at either Betancuria or La Oliva stations to sell plants and/or trees?

Since Pozo has been closed for refurb, they have very little of interest in that poxy little tent. We were originally told they would only shut the facility, for sales for about 3 months. That was nearly two years ago! Everytime we return, on the date given for the grand re-opening they have little for sale. Last time, just a few palms and a couple of figs.

As I'm trying to 're-forest' our garden, we would like to buy more Aguaribay's, similar to those given out on free plant days. And I like Cabildo prices.
1 user says Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
I think they only sell trees on the Day of the Tree.

What sort of plants are you looking for?
2 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Prob up to about 10 x Aguaribay (or falso pimiento). I think Cabildo referred to them as 'Especiero' on their free tree day. It's a fast growing tree.

I can wait until Pozo opens, again, in necessary, but I hoped the Cabildo may sell at other locations.

Thanks, Captain.

PS: or even someone who has some seeds!!
Reply Quote
I've got one of those trees in my garden.  We cut it back to only trunk and branches in September and now it's in full bloom again.

I didn't know what it was called.  We must have got it from the Cabildo's nursery about 10 years ago.

It does come into flower, but I haven't noticed the seeds.  If I see any I'll let you know.
2 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
All the Aguaribay trees flower but each tree will be either male or female flowers. You need both male and female trees in near vicinity to enable seed to be produced. 

Archer - it's worth having a look under some mature trees to see if there are any seedlings. I've found quite a lot over the years in the Geafond area of Corralejo (Mercadona and down to Parque Natural) especially where no one has been maintaining the verge areas - just need to beware the dog mess! Alternatively you can grow from cuttings. I've had good success using the suckers that have grown up from trunks/branches that have been blown over by the wind. If possible take young suckers that you can pull off by hand including a 'heel', trim the heel and trim the total cutting to about 8/10" and insert the cutting in damp sand. Keep warm but out of direct sun and keep just damp - not wet. Good luck!
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Checked out the trees in the Mercadona/Parque Natural area of Corralejo today. A few trees had seeds with some on the floor but no seedlings to be seen. Almost all the trees I looked at, possibly 8-10, had plenty of suckers.

[Image: mvmwsPD.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks. I'll look for some locally, and don't want to get arrested for stealing and defacing trees in the Natural Park!  Wink

I have noticed that the one I got from the Cabildo has started to throw out suckers...albeit a bit smaller than those in your photo. Maybe be big enough in Spring. Thanks
Reply Quote
Hi Archer
Good luck! I wasn't advocating using trees in the Natural Park, there is an area of Corralejo called Parque Naturale  Big Grin
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Haha. Tongue I cheek. Angel I am not familar with that area. Next time I venture that far North, I'll take a look.
Thanks
Reply Quote
Here's the actual location: Parque Natural Corralejo
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Betancuria Rural Park TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 366 02-06-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Castillo de Lara en Betancuria TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 2,093 21-03-2023, 09:00 PM