This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
viaje update changes aware certificado

Certificado de Viaje - Update and changes to be aware of
This is not something that most people took advantage of, but with Brexit some things have changed for most of us.

Previously, as residents, we could make use of the "Residents Travel Discount" when traveling from the island to any other islands or the peninsula.
For those who are not aware, this is a deal between the Spanish government whereby travel companies can offer a special residents price below what it costs them, and the Spanish government would cover the remainder of the full price of the ticket. The discount came to approximately 75% meaning a flight from Fuerte to Madrid that costs €100 is offered to the resident at €25 (exact calculations differ, residents discounted price is based on the full price of a ticket and not any lower fares).

Non EU residents could not make use of the travel discount unless they already had Permanent Residency here (Legally registered for 5+ years).

As part of Brexit preparations and processes, many of us applied for our TIE cards. This was a wise step to protect against and uncertain outcomes or limitations.
But one of the side effects is that we are now technically third part nationals who do not qualify for the travel discount.

As I said, for many it makes no difference. For me and some others, it does have a minor to major impact.
Mid-2019 to mid-2020 I had over €1500 of cross-island and Penninsula flights. These were business trips. Without the resident's discount, this would have cost me €6000 - a much larger business expense. This will obviously now limit how much business I can do outside of Fuerte, as adding extra costs to client proposals would probably not go down so well.

I know a lot of people regularly hop between fuerte and lanza - but soon we will have to pay full price.

I just came back from the La Oliva Ayuntamiento and was informed of the rules surrounding the Residents Travel Discount.
Attached below is a scan of the paper they gave me. And here is the translated text.

TRANSLATED TEXT
CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE FOR TRAVEL

Procedure for obtaining certificates in order to benefit from the bonus in the
rates for scheduled air and sea transport services.
Area responsible: Citizen's Advice
Who can apply: Registered in this municipality, who can prove their identity
with a valid document, and be a citizen:
- Spanish.
- Of the Member States of the European Union or the other signatory States of the Agreement
on the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- Foreigners with a Community Regime Foreigner's Card specifying "Family member of
Citizen of the Union". In this case the procedure can ONLY be carried out in the offices of
on-site attention.

- Foreigners with a Foreigner's Card that specifies that they have: "Permanent Residence",
"Permanent Resident" or "Long Term Resident". In this case the procedure is ONLY

can be done in the offices of face-to-face attention.
REQUIREMENTS:
- To be registered in the Town Hall of La Oliva. - Identification document
corresponding to the case, in force.
DOCUMENTATION: |
- For Spanish citizens: DNI or passport, in force.
- Citizens of EU member states or other states that have signed the agreement
on the European Economic Area or Switzerland, the supporting document will be the Certificate of
Registration issued by the Central Registry of Foreigners in force and which must include
expressly as a community resident in Spain and the address of residence (NIE VERDE),
that gives right to the bonus and that should in any case be accompanied by the document of
your country's identity or valid passport.
- For non-EU citizens: Residence Card for family members of Union citizens
European Union in force, or long term residence card in force.
- If you are acting through a representative: Certified photocopy of document proving
legal or voluntary representation, generated in Spain, and must contain express authorization for
the present procedure.

[Image: Travel-Discount-Rules.jpg]
The Local Friendly Tech and Media Guy << Link
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
5 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for this McAdam.
I'm reading it that if you have 5 year+ residence you still qualify for the discount. Is that your interpretation?

For what it's worth, after reading your post, I went online to La Oliva Ayuntamiento and generated and printed new certs of Padron (1 year validity) and certs of Viaje (6 months validity). Not that I'm likely to be travelling any time soon .....
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
If your TIE says "Residencia Permanente" or "Residencia Larga Duracion" then you can also get the discount.
After renewing your first TIE after 5 years, or after you have already been a resident for 5 + years - your TIE will be reissued with the above text.
If less than 5 years it will say "Residencia Temporal".

So yes, if you have been resident for more than 5 years then you can make use of the discount.

I will need to check if I am still in the SARA Database (The database used for travel discount checking).
The only way to really do it is to book something.
I guess I could re-issue my travel certificate and see if it generates as you have done.
Security Cameras, Smart Home Stuffs, Internet Thingies and Video Production Services
3 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
A confirmation of the confusion, from Janet Anscombe's In Tenerife site. Basically, all residents are legally entitled to the discount, but not all Ayuntamientos are applying the regs correctly:

https://www.janetanscombe.com/news/situa...rexit.html
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Hmmm... I wonder if a particular someone is secretly reading a particular forum... Tongue
2 users say Thank You to McAdam for this post
Reply Quote
Hi everyone,

If we manage to get to the island later in the year, we are planning a visit to Gran Canaria to look at buying a car there.
We have travel certs issued by La Oliva but don't have residency (yet).
I'm assuming we can't use the certificates without a TIE card, and post brexit not until we have permanent residency? So will have to pay full whack.
Not having tried to use the travel discounts, somebody explain the process please? Is it just a case of showing the certs (wishful thinking) or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.
Loving it  Cool

2 users say Thank You to Pete Garyga for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Pete,

The travel discount scheme is only available to those with Residency, so I'm a bit surprised you got one.  They are only valid for 6 months, so is yours still valid?

I also hear that it is only those with permanent residency that qualify. If you are within the first 5 years of your Green residency card, or TIE, then you don't qualify.  This is what I was told at La Olivia offices, but I have since travelled to Lanzarote and got my discount, and I'm still in the first 5 year period!

Tom.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Tom,

What is the process when you try to use the scheme, I assume you have to show the certificate and TIE when booking the tickets?
As you say, the certificate will not be much use without the (permanent) TIE unless that is how you get the certificate in the first instance.
We requested the travel certificates on the La Oliva digital office website using our digital certificates as ID, they are still current. I'm not sure if I'll be able to renew using the same process but will give it a try when this one expires if that's all that is required to get the discount.
Loving it  Cool

2 users say Thank You to Pete Garyga for this post
Reply Quote
Curious

Applied for and received Viaje last year but not used due to COVID.

Applied today and told I do not qualify
I presume it is because my TIE is Temp
On Padron since 2012.
Green card since 2019

Still able to get copy of a "Padron" though

I read Janet Ashcombes item about there being a  lot of confusion on this subject

Thoughts please, not planning on going anywhere just very curious.
2 users say Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote
Pete, glad to hear you have a Digital Certificate. Suspect La Olivia haven't yet twigged that we without permanent residency are still able to print out our travel certificates (but do keep it quiet, or they will turn that facility off).

We booked a ferry crossing for car and 4 passengers. On arrival at the ticket office we presented email confirmation of the booking, Empadron, travel certificate and TIE's.

She didn't question it, but TIE's were absolutely brand new then. When we checked into our hotel in Costa Teguise, the receptionist had never seen one before!

Suspect things might have changed since.  Hopefully i might be going back over to Lanzarote in about a month, depending on the COVID situation. I will update this thread if and when I go.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote