This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
2020 flu vaccinations

Flu vaccinations 2020-21
The flu vaccination campaign begins on October 15

The Minister of Health of the Government of the Canary Islands , Blas Trujillo, presented this morning the flu vaccination campaign for the 2020-21 season that is proposed in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Together with the counselor, the head of the Epidemiology and Prevention section of the General Directorate of Public Health, Amós García Rojas, has detailed the operation planned for the start of vaccination on October 15 and the types of vaccine that will be administered in health centers.
Blas Trujillo pointed out that this year the current pandemic situation coincides with the flu season, so it is important to promote vaccination. To do this, the Canary Islands have acquired a total of 320,000 doses of flu vaccine to face this 2020-21 flu season, for an amount of 1,750,000 euros. To these doses are added another 60,000 provided by the Ministry of Health, Consumption and Social Welfare.
Four types of vaccines
Amós García added that four types of vaccines have been purchased:
  • Trivalent inactivated vaccine with adjuvant, 170,000 doses Chiromas A, for population over 65 years.

• Inactivated split virus vaccine, tetravalent, cultured in embryonic egg, 115,000 doses. Vaxigrip Tetra A, for a population between 6 months of age and 65 years with some underlying pathology.

• Inactivated fractionated virus vaccine, cell culture, tetravalent, 35,000 doses: Influvac A, for pregnant women and healthcare personnel.

• Quadrivalent vaccine with high antigenic load. Fluzone 760 doses, for institutionalized elderly people.
The head of the Epidemiology section has insisted that the vaccine is the most effective means to avoid contracting or transmitting the flu, especially in those people who are at risk of suffering complications in case of suffering from the disease and in the personnel who are essential for the community such as the health and caregivers of the elderly or dependents.
"With the flu vaccination we will reduce the possibility of confusing COVID-19 cases with flu cases, since the symptoms can initially be very similar and that makes differential diagnosis difficult," he explained.
Avoid virus coexistence
The Health Minister specified that by vaccinating the population at risk against the flu, we also avoid the coexistence of the two infections, flu and COVID-19 in the same person, a complicated situation on which little experience is available at this time. In addition, the stress and risk of collapse that can be caused to the health system will be minimized at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic and the seasonal flu epidemic coincide .
Target population
It is essential that the target groups for vaccination: over 60 years, health personnel and people who work with the elderly and dependents, as well as essential personnel, become aware of the importance, now more than ever, of getting vaccinated against the flu to guarantee their protection, that of the people in their charge, and that of the health system and residences in the current situation of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Previous appointment for vaccination
Amós García Rojas reported that the start of vaccination in health centers will begin on October 15 and that influenza vaccination must always be carried out by appointment, by calling 012 or their numbers without additional pricing 922470012 and 928301012, designing a clean circuit of access to vaccination.
The logistics of the health centers have been organized to avoid crowds. From the General Directorate of Public Health, and also from the Ministry of Health, Consumption and Social Welfare, this year doses of flu vaccine will be provided to mutuals or entities so that they can vaccinate people included in risk groups.
What are the target groups for this vaccination campaign?
1-Population groups at risk of complications in case of flu:
  • People over 60 years of age, to prevent complications, hospitalizations or deaths in case of contracting the flu,

• People diagnosed with chronic pathologies of any age (over 6 months), to prevent complications, hospitalizations or deaths in case of contracting the disease,

• Pregnant women, to protect themselves and their future children, and prevent complications, hospitalizations or deaths in case of contracting the flu.
2-Fundamental professions in a COVID-19 pandemic situation
  • Health personnel, to protect themselves and the people under their care, also avoiding the loss of their services, which are essential for the community, in the event of multiple casualties due to flu, especially in the current situation of COVID pandemic. -19.

• Staff who take care of the elderly or dependents, to protect themselves, their colleagues, and the extremely fragile population they serve, avoiding a possible loss of their services in the event of multiple casualties due to flu, especially in the current pandemic situation of COVID-19.
Epidemiological Information for the 2019-20 Flu Season
From the Canary Islands Sentinel Network (RCC), the data for the 2019/20 season describe an influenza epidemic wave that began in the Canary Islands earlier than in the previous 2018/19 season. The Incidence rate exceeded the baseline threshold established for that season (101.05 cases per 100,000 h.) In week 2/2020 (from 06 to 12 January).
It was for 9 consecutive weeks above the baseline threshold, reaching the maximum incidence in week 6/2020 (from February 03 to 09) with 318.54 cases per 100,000 h. returning to baseline in week 11 and staying below this until the end of the season.
Confirmed Serious Hospitalized Influenza Cases (CGHCG)
From the beginning (week 40/2019, from September 30 to October 6) until the end of the season (week 20/2020, from May 11 to 17), 250 CGHCG were reported in the Canary Islands, 86 cases (34.4% ) were admitted to the ICU and 36 cases (14.4%) died.
Deceased
From week 40/2019 to week 20/2020, 36 deaths were registered among the CGHCG.
Regarding the distribution by age and sex, the proportion of men was 57.78% (n = 19) and of women 47.22% (n = 17), the median age was 69 years, the mean 69, 6 years and the range from 10 to 97 years.
Mortality increases with age, concentrating the highest proportion of cases in those over 64 years of age (63.9%) and in the 15-64 year group (33.33%).
In 80.56% of the deceased cases, infection by influenza A virus [10.34% A (H3N2), 55.17% A (H1N1) and 34.49% not subtyped] and by virus of influenza B in 19.44%.
Of the 36 deceased, 94.4% had some risk factor for flu complications. Among the most frequent risk factors were being older than or equal to 65 years (63.9%), cardiovascular disease (63.88%), immunodeficiency (41.66), chronic respiratory disease (38.88) , diabetes (25%) and chronic kidney failure (11.11%).
Of the 36 deceased, 15 (41.6%) had been admitted to the ICU.
Among the 31 cases susceptible to influenza vaccination, in 19 (61.3%) the vaccination status was not known or was unknown.
Of the 12 deceased cases for which information was available (38.71%), only 1 case (8.33%) had received the influenza vaccine this season and 11 (91.67%) were not vaccinated.
The fatality of severe influenza illness in the 2019-20 season, estimated in terms of the number of deaths among the total CGHCG and among the cases admitted to the ICU was 14.4% and 17.44%, respectively.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
From week 40/2019 to week 20/2020, 36 deaths were registered among the CGHCG.

Thanks Tamara - interesting to read only 36 deaths deemed from Flu in the Canary Islands in the previous Flu season.
2 users say Thank You to Jason W for this post
Reply Quote
Appointments for the flu jab can be booked by calling 012 or 928 301012.

I'll be doing that next week as I normally do.
3 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
(09-10-2020, 07:21 AM)Captain Sensible Wrote: Appointments for the flu jab can be booked by calling 012 or 928 301012.

We phoned yesterday (8 October) and they were not accepting bookings.  They did not know when they would start accepting bookings.
3 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
(09-10-2020, 10:00 AM)Tardis Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 07:21 AM)Captain Sensible Wrote: Appointments for the flu jab can be booked by calling 012 or 928 301012.

We phoned yesterday (8 October) and they were not accepting bookings.  They did not know when they would start accepting bookings.

It's best to wait until the 15th - that's when they'll start taking bookings.
4 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
Just a reminder that the flu vaccination in all the health centres of the Canary Islands will start tomorrow.

https://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/noti...-canarias/
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
After phoning this morning our appointments are for 4th November. We are registered at the Health Center in Puerto.
2 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
I rang this Tuesday and have my appointment today! Corralejo.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Management had hers done on Tuesday in Antigua, and returns for a Pneumonia jab on Monday next.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Phoned today (Friday) and have an appointment for Tuesday 
I THINK that I was told in very rapid Spanish that I could have one because I was OVER 70 but my wife of  very tender years
(+/-  21years) would have to wait for a while.
2 users say Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flu & Covid vaccinations - autumn 2023 TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 396 16-12-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: DavidP
  Flu vaccinations - 2022 TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 1,190 18-10-2022, 09:55 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya