This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
gardening fuerteventura

Gardening in Fuerteventura
[Image: uDSpRBz.jpg] [Image: r59pPuO.jpg]

anyone know the name of this plant? The tiny little pink flowers open about 4.30pm each day.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
Today's choice?

Hemerocallis (Day Lily)

Easy to grow, loves full sun, doesn't mind the wind, doesn't need much water (can be left unwatered for months!), poor but well draining soil, loads of flashy flowers, various colours/patterns in mainly yellow, orange, reds ranges. Foliage can be cut almost to ground level after flowering when it gets tatty, you'll get fresh new growth but probably no more flowers until the next season. Every 3 or 4 years if the clump has got quite big it benefits from being lifted and divided. Self seeds if you're lucky, black seeds are fertile, pale seeds not.

I'm surprised not to see these for sale more often in Fuerteventura - very suited to gardens where you aren't in residence all the time, just make sure you're here during flowering season to enjoy the blooms. Each bloom only lasts for one day but each stem bears many flowers. This is an odd flower that has popped out well after this year's main display.

[Image: jQuc3Nw.jpg]

I didn't cut back after flowering this year hoping to get some self seedlings - and there are several little seedlings that look like grass that I have high hopes for!

Update 3rd Sept. I now have 6 new flowering stems growing so it looks like I'm getting a complete second bloom this year, bonus!
Living my dream
Reply Quote
One of my all time favourites, Platycodon, is today's feature plant. Commonly known as Balloon Flower due to the shape of the buds prior to opening. Comes in blue, white or pink. Needs free draining soil and dies away completely in the 'winter'. Likes full sun but can take late afternoon shade. Doesn't like being disturbed once planted as it has quite a long, sturdy tap root. Seems pretty pest resistant, occasionally the leaves get a bit scorched by strong winds but it soon recovers. If happy it can form a good sized clump but most often stays around 20cm tall by 20-30cm wide.

[Image: myWS0Ce.jpg]
Living my dream
Reply Quote
Tamara, thanks for this fabulous thread, Yvonne and I enjoy each entry!
Reply Quote
Hi Tamara,
We have joined the New Forum! Good to be on. Long time no see? the years march on - ohhh! (M La Capellania)

Monarch butterflies, yes we do them too. Doing our bit for them & the Island. Last year managed to get 7 away. They do eat ALL the leaves! Had an early visit this year from 1 butterfly, found the 5 caterpillars by accident. I net them over the 5 plants I have in the garden. That way you get to see the butterflies before they go. Only 1 chrysalis through the others disappeared? I have a butterfly basket mesh net with a zipped lid. Should evolve in a few more days.

I have just sent to New Zealand for some other milkweed seeds on Ebay, Gomphocarpus physocarpus ??? yes. Bigger, get more leaves I hope, feed more Caterpillars! They won't be big enough until next year obviously. Have big bobble flowers.

Love your plant thread.  Thumbs Up  Cool Cool Cool
Reply Quote
Thanks PerryPower and OMR for your kind words.

OMR- great to see you on here! (Thought of you the other day when I heard the song playing!) Please keep us updated on your 'super milkweed' and the progress of your caterpillars. And of course anything else of mention (good and bad) in your garden.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
We bought some Milkweed plants from Happy Plants a few weeks ago.  We had three Monarch butterflies from caterpillars in June.  There is at least one chrysalis in our garden at the moment which we hope will produce another Monarch in a few days time.
Reply Quote
Hi Tardis

Good to know so many people are helping the Monarch. Well done!

Our 1 chrysalis turned butterfly yesterday & flew away this morning. 

Took a pic. Might try to put on here later - um?  Cool
Reply Quote
https://fuerteventura.click/Thread-How-t...-your-post

Good luck!
Looking forward to seeing your pic  Smile
Living my dream
Reply Quote
I had the idea of trying to pollinate my Hylocereus/Pitahaya/Dragon Fruit by hand (paintbrush!) as I wondered if the reason I was not getting any fruit setting was lack of pollinating insects of the right type. Loads more buds on the plant that I've been keeping an eye on for more than 1 to bloom on the same night. Hooray, 3 bloomed last night! But, the blooms were at over 2M high and in the middle of some very prickly bougainvillea so that was that plan thwarted  Cry 

[Image: Me8hxsU.jpg]

Some tiny buds much lower down so finger's crossed that they bloom together in a few week's time (although it will probably be when I'm on my annual UK visit!).
Living my dream
Reply Quote