This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
moving 2020

Moving 2020
Hi everyone,

We will be moving to the lovely Fuerteventura next year and I am trying to understand what we need to do legally etc.

We will be renting at first and then later down the line looking to purchase a property and there will be myself, my husband, 3 year old son and two doggies!

I will apologize now as I have a lot of questions if any one can help answer them please as I am pretty unsure of  what we need to do...

1. What do we need to do to become residence and when can/do we apply for this?

2. My husband and I have both have our own businesses in the UK which we will be able to run from the Fuerteventura - so will not be seeking employment, do we have to declare our earnings or anything like that even though they are both UK based companies? How would this work?

3. Medical treatment - please can you explain how this works, I take it we are unable to access NHS treatment in Fuerteventura?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
A
2 users say Thank You to fuertelife2019 for this post
Reply Quote
Try these for starters:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

http://healthcareinspain.eu/

http://healthcareinspain.eu/2018/07/resi...-answered/

Plus a whole host of useful information here: https://www.janetanscombe.com/#  (based around life in Tenerife but all relevant)
3 users say Thank You to Robbo for this post
Reply Quote
(20-09-2019, 11:31 AM)fuertelife2019 Wrote: Hi everyone,

We will be moving to the lovely Fuerteventura next year and I am trying to understand what we need to do legally etc...

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your decision!

(20-09-2019, 11:31 AM)fuertelife2019 Wrote: ...

The best place to start with that is here: How to apply for your Residency in Fuerteventura.

2. My husband and I have both have our own businesses in the UK which we will be able to run from the Fuerteventura - so will not be seeking employment, do we have to declare our earnings or anything like that even though they are both UK based companies? How would this work?

If you'll be a (fiscal) resident in Fuerteventura, you'll have to pay your income tax to Spanish coffins. I'm not an expert in this field and the best way would be to ask your tax advisor. I would love to hear from someone who does live on the island permanently and run a business in the UK, too. It could be our case in the future.

3. Medical treatment - please can you explain how this works, I take it we are unable to access NHS treatment in Fuerteventura?

As a tourist, you'll be fine with an EHIC card plus an extra travel insurance.
Once you'll have padron you'll be able to get public or private health insurance contracted in Spain, provided that it ensures cover in Fuerteventura during your period of residence - equivalent to the cover provided by the National Health System.

This all heavily depends on the outcome of Brexit and you'll might end up following guides for non-EU residents.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(20-09-2019, 11:31 AM)fuertelife2019 Wrote: Hi everyone,

We will be moving to the lovely Fuerteventura next year and I am trying to understand what we need to do legally etc.

We will be renting at first and then later down the line looking to purchase a property and there will be myself, my husband, 3 year old son and two doggies!

I will apologize now as I have a lot of questions if any one can help answer them please as I am pretty unsure of  what we need to do...

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
A

Firstly, good luck finding suitable rental accommodation. It is hard to come by and with dogs will be very difficult I imagine.

1. You will need Empadron, NIE and Residencia. You could possibly omit the NIE and go straight for Residencia but with renting that may not be the case. You need a reason to apply for your NIE, such as buying a house or car. You will need to have healthcare in place for Residencia. Bear in mind that whatever paperwork you get, if you move from rented to purchasing you will have to change everything for the new address. Also advisable to get your Spanish driving licence ASAP. Always best to consult the professionals, like the Boxx Pro, for uptodate info.

2. After living here 6 months you are considered to be a fiscal resident for tax purposes. You have to declare your worldwide savings, investments and earnings. The tax system in Spain is more onerous than the UK and not as generous. You will definitely need to consult a Spanish accountant.

3. You will need to have private health insurance in place to apply for Residencia (you will also need funds available to prove you can support yorself - currently 6000€ but sterling acceptable I believe). There are private health providers but you should be able to contract to the Spanish health system directly according to reports.

This of course is all pre-brexit.  If brexit happens before you move then the goalposts will change dramatically and it probably won't be so easy, especially if UK leaves with no deal.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so I believe this information is correct to the best of my knowledge. ALWAYS consult someone whose job it is to sort this stuff out. Assesoria, Abogado, Gestor.
4 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
Thank you to everyone that has provided me with some of the info I need

I think the best thing for me would be to wait until the end of October until we know what is happening with Brexit as like most of you have said what is set in place now could very much change!

Can I ask how long at present you can be a "visitor" before you must be come a resident?

Also the NIE card - I would need this to apply for a bank account and utility bills?

Thanks
A
2 users say Thank You to fuertelife2019 for this post
Reply Quote
I probably think most Brits who don't live here full-time and don't want fiscal residency stick with just the NIE & Empadronamiento. You can still buy a car, open a bank account and do most things. And keep EHIC which may well continue after Brexit.
No-one appears to checkup how long you stay. Well, I never heard of anyone having their collar felt.
I stick to 6 months in UK and 6 months here.
Don't give up UK residency until you have tried it. Not for everyone.
3 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
(22-09-2019, 10:11 AM)fuertelife2019 Wrote: Thank you to everyone that has provided me with some of the info I need

I think the best thing for me would be to wait until the end of October until we know what is happening with Brexit as like most of you have said what is set in place now could very much change!

Can I ask how long at present you can be a "visitor" before you must be come a resident?

Also the NIE card - I would need this to apply for a bank account and utility bills?

Thanks
A

You don't need NIE for a bank account (well you didn't used to but my wife thinks it may have changed) but if you're thinking about utility bills then you will have bought or be renting so you WILL need NIE.
After 90 days you are considered resident but at present there doesn't appear to be any way they can check this (apart from passenger lists from the airlines).
Again, this all may change from November.
3 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote